Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Prius and while we were away on vacation the starter battery died. It has since dies several times so I think it's toast. I'd rather replace it myself than pay the dealer to do it so thaat said, wondering what is the best bet for a repalcement battery and is there anything special I should know about replacing it or is it the saame aas any car? Also need new windshield wipers so while I'm at it, any have any brnads they reccomend?

Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
prius battery

I'm still happy with my 2001 windshield wipers, so no help there.

The 2001-2003 Prius batteries are all the same. The newer model is nearly the same, except with its posts reversed. If you buy the replacement battery from Toyota, it is surprisingly expensive. They do offer a larger capacity version, which might merit consideration.

In the aftermarket, it is generally thought wise to replace with a battery that has vent tubes. While the venting system will only come into play if the charging system goes on the rampage, or if the battery develops an internal short, the small risk of having a trunkfull of hydrogen gas is something to be avoided.

A suitable replacement battery is available from:

http://elearnaid.com/12vobaforpr2.html

who also sell an adapter kit for the different terminal type. The manufacturer of this battery has a web site:

http://www.mkbattery.com

and in fact since they are nearby, I bought the battery from them directly.

Dave Dorrance gives instructions on how to fit said battery to the Prius DIY:

http://home.comcast.net/~DLDORRANCE/battery.html

In which he described my hacksawing of the battery terminals down to the correct size as "elegant". Not the word I would have chosen.

DAS

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wiper Blade & 12v Battery Replacements

Arizona is really hard on wiper blades -- not from rain, snow and ice, but from the sun. I finally got tired of replacing the OEM Toyota blade refills every 6-8 months, and replaced the entire blade assemblies with "Triple Edge" blades that have a lifetime warranty. Cost was about the same for the new wiper arms and blades, which were purchased at WalMart, as for the Toyota rubber refills. I have had Triple Edge blades on another car for almost ten years, and they are still going strong. It helps to use Rain-X, though as they do chatter a little (on the older car).

Unfortunately, I am also looking at replacing the 12v battery soon, as the one in our 2002 Prius is getting weak. Sometimes, the door locks don't lock the first time due to reduced current. I have seen where a Mazda Miata battery is being used as a replacement, and think that this may be what I will use. However, I plan to have Batteries Plus check to if they have a closer replacement. It would be nice if Optima or one of the sealed batteries had a replacement that would fit without modification.

Let us know which one you choose. There are several of us waiting on the sidelines for the battery to die.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts