Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
All 2001-2003 Prius come with the LCD touchscreen MFD, and the dash buttons for the Nav. However, if you press the dash buttons, you get an "external system not connected" error if you do not have the Navigation option. (Only a few 2001s, sold to VIPs or celebrities, had the Navigation system - it was not an option for normal people for 2001s. It was an option for 2002-2003 Prius.) So yes, my 2001 Prius also has the annoying dash buttons that do not do anything, just like your Prius.

Voice activation is something new with the Navigation system on the 2004/2005 Prius (wasn't on the older Prius). It's a slightly different system than that on the 2002-2003 Prius.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
What makes you think that you even have a Navigation system installed? The mere presence of the touch screen and some buttons does not mean that you have a Navigation system on a 2001-2003 Prius. (On a 2004-2005 Prius, they all have the touchscreen, but the buttons are different between the nav and no-nav systems.)

It is standard on a 2001-2003 Prius for the touch-sensitive LCD screen (multi-function display - MFD). You use it for your audio system, and to view the Energy Screen and Consumption Screen.

There are a very small handfull of people that have bought parts from wrecks and spent the time/labor to install a factory Navigation system into a Classic Prius that wasn't previously equipped, but as I said, that number is small. There are probably more people who purchased the CoastalETech Pioneer unit: http://www.coastaletech.com/nav.htm

Otherwise, I can't say that I've heard of any other integrated Navigation option for the Classic Prius. I've heard of portable/handheld units, but nothing else that is permanently mounted (without the use of an *extra* LCD screen).

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hm, that's a neat aftermarket job, then, that I haven't heard of. does it use the Prius' existing display screen, or does it have one of its own? (does it even have a screen?) Do you know the manufacturer or the model?

Any chance you can ask the original owner about what was installed?

(Sorry if I came off a bit rough earlier. You'd be surprised how many sellers and/or buyers think that just because there's the display screen in the Prius, that it obviously has the navigation system... Toyota didn't make it easy on the 2001-2003 Prius, having those non-functional dash buttons...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.