Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 Prius is approaching its first birthday. A month or so ago, I took it to my dealership for an oil change and tire rotation. They tried to get me to pay 60 bucks or so to get the "20,000 mile service." It seemed like a lot of money for what seemed to be lots of "checking" fluids and stuff. Other than having them look at the brakes, is there anything else I should be looking for at this point? I lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy when it comes to cars. Is this still applicable when it comes to the Prius?

Roberta

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
$60 isn't all that bad, assuming it includes the regular oil/filter change. If they check the brakes, ask them to write down the actual lining thickness of all four wheels--forget the percentage reading they usually BS you with.

This is useful because it will give you a good idea how long the pads/shoes will last.

Does this include a cabin filter?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
"Does this include a cabin filter"

Probably not, that's not due until 30K, though I think it might be in the standard 15K dealer maintenance schedule.

Agreed, $60 isn't too bad. My dealer charges just over $50 for oil/filter change and tire rotations, and safety inspections for good measure. They call it the 5K mini service.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
ProfBerta,

You were smart to avoid a "mileage number" based service and stick with specific procedures. Dealerships tend to pump those even mileage services (15,000, 30,000 and so on) with procedures and inspections as a way to justify the huge price they charge for them. The service guide that Toyota provides with each car is your bible to scheduled service. If you follow it you will be doing the services necessary for warranty and on top of that you won't be overcharged for inspections and lookieloo procedures which do not actually have any significant value to you or in terms of the price charged for the services provided.

Last time I was at my local dealer waiting for my oil to be changed, a customer with a different Toyota had their service booklet with them at the reception desk trying to get the service writer to justify the extra services they were doing at 30,000 miles that were in addition to what their service guide was stating needed to be done.

So, the lesson learned here is that even folks driving conventional Toyotas have to stick up for themselves so they don't get screwed at the dealership on those preprogrammed service packages which cost way too much.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Some of those "extra" services can be nice. I do like it when they snug up my parking brake cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts