Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Prius color is most popular?

I live in Michigan. How is the Prius for winter driving...heavy snow, slippery condition,high winds, sometimes blizzard conditions??? I would like to hear from others who have similiar weather.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Mari said:
Which Prius color is most popular?

I live in Michigan. How is the Prius for winter driving...heavy snow, slippery condition,high winds, sometimes blizzard conditions??? I would like to hear from others who have similiar weather.
Mari,
For winter driving here in Vermont, my Prius has done quite well thus far, although I do not drive it in the worst blizzard type conditions (reserved for a Subaru Outback) as we experienced yesterday for a while. My car's 4 winter tires are Nokia Hakkapeliieta RSi's. They are not the most aggressive tires (such has Hak. 2's) but do well on ice and are more low rolling resistance like the OEM tires. I have found traction to be adequate in light to moderate snow when going over a mountain gap (a rise of 1,300 feet in 3 miles) with decent control both going up and down. It goes right up my driveway with 2-3" of snow with no problems. It's been mentioned that the Traction Control can present traction problems (rather ironic) in deep snow, but I haven't experienced that yet.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My stabilizer signal (little orange swerving car) has come on repeatedly when car is going through snowy or icy patches. Otherwise, it behaves as other cars. MPG will suffer, though. As I've indicated on another thread, I was very pleasantly surprised when my Prius started up almost immediately (ICE took a few minutes to sound normal) after leaving it for 9 freezing days snow-covered, at an outside airport lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Yokohama Ice Guard snow tires on another set of rims! I feel that the prius handles as well as my 4x4 Blazer except for the amount of ground clearance. Regards to the color, in NNY the color of choice is silver and blue. I chose tideland pearl (green) for that reason!! I was the 1st in my town to own this color and I bought a late 05. (took ownership in July)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in NW Indiana, about 20 minutes from the Michigan border.

Color - Silver, and that tanish color around here.

Winter - MPG suffers more than you'd think. I usually am at 52, now at around 40-42. I also do a lot of driving on country roads with many curves and trees around it, so the sun doesn't hit and melt the snow. I haven't had the traction light come on, but I always go slow to be sure. It handled better than my old z26 beretta in the snow.

I do suggest only using only about 36 psi instead of 40 in your tires in the winter. There is a huge differene, and I feel that it is well worth it.. Especially around fields going above 40, where the wind will move you around.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well there are alot of Salsa Reds in the cold San Diego County and I wonder if I will ever see the snow flake or the swervy little car...do you think it might show up on rain slick roads?? The color I see least is black.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Well there are alot of Salsa Reds in the cold San Diego County and I wonder if I will ever see the snow flake or the swervy little car...do you think it might show up on rain slick roads??"
I've seen every 04/05 color BUT black here in San Diego. Silver seems to be the most popular. The actual number of Prius sightings (for me) is surprisingly small.
** Salsaw: Please...can we just quit while we're ahead...?
Take a drive up to BB after the first snow.. which can't be far away.
Last March I took the Prius to a local (empty) and VERY WET mall parking lot. I could NOT make it skid sideways. The little swervy-car thing does work along with some kind of audible alert. ~JD~

·
Registered
919 Posts
JDavies said:
"Well there are alot of Salsa Reds in the cold San Diego County and I wonder if I will ever see the snow flake or the swervy little car...do you think it might show up on rain slick roads??"
I've seen every 04/05 color BUT black here in San Diego. Silver seems to be the most popular. The actual number of Prius sightings (for me) is surprisingly small.
** Salsaw: Please...can we just quit while we're ahead...?
Take a drive up to BB after the first snow.. which can't be far away.
Last March I took the Prius to a local (empty) and VERY WET mall parking lot. I could NOT make it skid sideways. The little swervy-car thing does work along with some kind of audible alert. ~JD~
Audible alert? I haven't heard that. And I believe there's been a time or two when rainy roads and a sudden stop did produce "swervy".

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Audible alert? I haven't heard that."
I'm sure I heard some kind of chirpy sound as the Stab Contrl engaged. Maybe it was my grandson sucking in his breath.. :roll:
Anyone else..??

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah, when you hear beeps and the "Slip" indicator blink, VSC is engaged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Color and weather

Thanks for all the replies. :) I am feeling more secure. I am ordering a Prius (silver) and from the replies, it looks like driving will be fine in our winters.

I have heated seats in the car I have now and it is wonderful for the lcold weather. Has anyone added heat to the seats....is it even possible in the Pruis? If so, what was the cost????? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Color and weather

Mari said:
Thanks for all the replies. :) I am feeling more secure. I am ordering a Prius (silver) and from the replies, it looks like driving will be fine in our winters.

I have heated seats in the car I have now and it is wonderful for the lcold weather. Has anyone added heat to the seats....is it even possible in the Pruis? If so, what was the cost????? Thanks!!!!
We have an '05 Prius and added heated leather seats (about $1500). By the way, we can leave the car's heat off and just have the heated seats on (outside temperature in the 30's). Helps with the mileage (the ICE doesn't run as often).

·
Registered
7 Posts
JDavies mentions that he does not see many Prius in San Diego. I find that it varies a lot depending on where in the city I drive. In the northern part of the city (I work in Ranch Bernardo) I usually see one every 5 to 10 minutes. South of I-8 I almost never see one. I also see almost all colors, with black being the least common.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts