Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the true mileage gurus have finished their 48 hour long quest for the perfect tank and their final numbers are 1397 miles at 109.328 MPG using 12.78 gallons of fuel. They went 415 miles before the first bar fell off and 286 miles on the last flashing bar. They ran on a 30 mile roundtrip circuit in a suburban setting with many stop lights and stop signs and average speed of around 30 mph. In case you are in doubt about the veracity of the figures. The whole thing was carried on 4 tv networks and if you are still in doubt.......

Congrats to the participants. It is a great day!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ray Moore said:
In case you are in doubt about the veracity of the figures. The whole thing was carried on 4 tv networks and if you are still in doubt.......
Link?

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
ericbecky said:
Here's another link
Article confirming the 109 mpg record
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/100mpgrecord.htm
Per the article, "The weekend of August 5th through the 7th, 2005, a team of hybrid car enthusiasts, took an unmodified Toyota Prius to a record breaking 1397 miles on a single 12.78 gallon tank of gas."

My question is how did they use a 12.78 gallon tank? I thought the tank capacity of the Prius was 11.9 gallons.

·
Registered
466 Posts
firepa63 said:
My question is how did they use a 12.78 gallon tank? I thought the tank capacity of the Prius was 11.9 gallons.
You're right that the specification says it's 11.9 gallons.
The Japanese specification is 45 liters same as the US model, however our record is putting 60.23 liters in it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think I have put in more than 12 gallons on my last fill up. I have a spread sheet of miliage that computes tank fill based on the original dealer fillup. If they put in 10 gallons, I have a 13 gallon tank.

I compute gas used and compare to gas bought. The difference is added to the tank plus the tank. Assuming tank started at 10 with the dealer, I now have gone over 12 gallons with the last fillup. (Number 12).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dont want that much

I dont want that much...I just want 60 consistenly anytime and anyhere. That is what I paid for. I could make a deal for 57 and it will be fine with me.

Respect to that record I have my reserves. I will find out more info about what kind of image is presented. I need time to perform some data analysis. I would love to verify that there were not any kind of steroids or corked bats besides the perfect pavement that was used to drive the risky Prius driving style, maybe on terrain elevations always going down.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think rmarch just made a joke!! :lol: Complimente! ...Corked bats.

BTW, rmarch, you, yes you, CAN get 60mpg all the time. I could teach you how...and no "risky" driving. It does require a road and a style amenable and comperable to the technique and terrain used by the EPA (you know, the guys who determined the sticker mileage), but you can do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Race cars...

You know, prolly some these ppl who likes to race cars just to prove the car is faster than others and we'd be like, damn these idiots..who are trying to kill themselves?

Now, these same people prolly think we are idiots who likes to race who has the better mpg than others, they'd say, damn these idiots.. they have no life or something?
:lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Right, call the EPA, and have them show you how to drive the car in the city to achieve 60. No highway driving though, that only gets 50, according to the EPA.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I do better

Well, I dont have a relation with EPA. But you do have a good relation with the Prius and maybe its manufacturer also. Do me a favor, call Toyota Motor Co. and ask for me, please. You know, I am very busy with my speech classes as per your nice recommedation.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Beacher said:
maybe on terrain elevations always going down
Is there anywhere in the world that is 1397 miles all down hill?

Or was that actually a joke?
I doubt there is anywhere in the world where you can drive for 1400 miles and have it continuously downhill. I'm sure there areas where there are 1400 miles of 'roughly downhill' driving, but probably some up-and-down mixed in.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Beacher said:
. . .Is there anywhere in the world that is 1397 miles all down hill?

The Mississippi river is over 2000 miles long. If you drive along it from Minnesota to Louisiana, you will be going predominantly downhill the whole way.

ROAD TRIP :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
RSnyder said:
Beacher said:
. . .Is there anywhere in the world that is 1397 miles all down hill?

The Mississippi river is over 2000 miles long. If you drive along it from Minnesota to Louisiana, you will be going predominantly downhill the whole way.
Good call, PICKACHU, that would apply to all the great river beds of the world. My Almanac says 2348mi for the Miss. The Nile is the longest, at 4180mi. So maybe these guys can get Egypt to sponsor a rolling Prius, getting 4180miles on NO GAS AT ALL :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts