Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to find a easy and safe to patch into 12 volt switched line? maybe even one depended on the door locks? looking to put in an (makes quotation marks with fingers) alarm system, aka blinking red light. I was planning to wire it to only be on when the car is off and locked, but just off will do, and Ive seen how many wires are in the damn thing, wouldnt wanna tap the wrong one, thanx guys! hope the hanes or chiltins manuals come out soon.

BTW if you interested in doing this yourself:
http://www.dimensional.com/~gizmo42/alarm/Fake Car Alarm Circuit.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/ar3/ledmod/

The second link is a little less practial for the prius, considering the location of the 12 volt plugs.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
toxygen said:
Where is this engine immobilizer light? ive never noticed it...
When I shut off my car, even if I don't use the smart key system to set the alarm, in a few minutes there's a little red "car" on the dashboard that goes blink blink blink. Magic. 2005 BC.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
On page 20 (21 for SE&SS/SKS) of the 2004 US Prius owner's manual, it
shows/explains the hybrid vehicle immobilizer (you are getting a discount
from your insurance for it, right?), and the light. It is red, in the
shape of a car with a key on it, on the dash.

If you had the alarm system on your 2004, you would want to look at page
44. The alarm uses the same red blinky car/key icon light.

Occasionally someone will post on one of the Prius boards that they've had their Prius for X amount of time, and suddenly there's this red blinky light on the dash and what's wrong with the car? Turns out the light has always been there, it just took them that long to notice it (or to arm the car).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im an Idiot

I always thought that light ment the car was detecting my key, i need to read the manual again. lol

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Again, all Prius are equipped with an alarm, but some are intentionally disabled by Toyota because "you didn't pay for it". A friendly dealer could turn it on without having to install the GBS, and from what I understand, if GBS is not installed, they don't even have to remove the yellow wire. They can do it right from the scan tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts