Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 is going to need it's 120k service soon. It includes the inverter fluid change and new spark plugs. I believe it's the same as the 60k service interval.

The car has been meticulously maintained by the previous owner. It looks great and runs strong, (for a Prius).

I purchased my car pre-owned, so this will be my first Toyota Service Department experience.

How much should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The inverter cooling system coolant change is tedious. It is very important that it is properly purged of all air, otherwise inverter damage may insue. The engine cooling system isn't as complex as it is with the newer generation, as you don't have a heat storage tank or pump, only the pump for the cabin heater core, if I am not mistaken. Spark plug should be a piece of cake, assuming they haven't seized to the block.

But as for actual price, I couldn't say. Definitely don't ask for a maintenance package. Instead, be specific with what's in the maintenance manual.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Quoting myself from Nov. 11, 2005: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/89539

Be sure to call around for pricing. I just called around today for the 60,000 mile service for my 2001 Prius. (I'm only at ~41,000 miles, but I am behind by months... (The last service or two I only did the oil/filter change and tire rotation.) I just put new winter tires on my Prius today, and I haven't had an alignment done ever on my Prius, so I also priced that too.

dealer 1: $395, though they suggest an additional tire balance ($45) and a 4-wheel alignment ($79.95) at that service, if you choose to do so.

dealer 2: $499.95 which includes a 4 wheel alignment (subtract $79.95 if you don't need the alignment)

dealer 3: $480, and an additional $69.95 for a 4-wheel alignment

dealer 4: $465, and an additional $98 (!) for a 4-wheel alignment

These dealers are in the metrowest Boston, MA area.

I decided to make an appointment at dealer 1, to give them a try, and that they came out the least expensive...
Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I got home that I got some generic/bulk oil. :( I should've specified the 5W30... The transmission flush seems to be a favorite here with the local dealers.

The invoice reads:
A 60K Prius - (60000) Change engine oil & filter, check all fluids and top off as needed. Lube all hinges & latches. Rotate and inspect tires and wheels. Replace transmission oil. Replace differential flu
60KPrius 60,000 mile service Prius 2001-2003 = 235.18
1 90915-YZZF2 Filter S/A, Oil = 5.79
4 01 bulk oil = 6.00
1 90430-12028 Gasket, oil pan drain = 0.93
1 00289-2CC0 non-chlorinated carb = 3.82
1 00289-2BC00 non-chlor brake clnr = 5.00
5 00279-000T4-01 ATF T-IV quart = 31.55
1 17801-21020 Element Sub-Assy, AI = 26.07
1 12204-21011 Valve sub-assy, vent = 7.52
4 90919-01217 Plug, spark = 58.96
1 00272-SLLC2 Super long life cool = 14.18

4 Wheel alignment - (60000) 4 wheel alignment. Adjust as needed.
Labor = 79.95
(Did not rotate tires per my request)

(Check engine light diagnosed, P3191, replaced ECM (89661-47054) per TSB EG011-03, N/C)

Hazrdous Waste removal & shop supplies = 5.31

Totals:
315.13 labor
159.82 parts
005.31 misc charges
--------------------
480.26 subtotal
008.26 sales tax
--------------------
488.52 total charged for 60K service + 4-wheel alignment - tire rotation

Although I hunted around both online and my collected snail-mail coupons, they were all either expired or did not apply to my service. (Quite often you can find a x% off coupon for a major service, or parts...)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I always bring my own oil, because my local dealer does not carry full synthetic 5W-30. When I went to get my 15K service done, they forgot to use the oil I'd provided for them (fortunately my wife noticed the bottles still on the passenger seat once it was ready for pickup), so they drained it out and put the correct oil in, and then gave me a coupon to get the next oil change free.

Total cost of the 15K service was $153.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't know about price (but guess I will in a couple months).

However, since the issue of transmission flush was raised, I strongly suggest you do not request a power flush. I suspect that this will force excess transmission fluid inside the electric motor casings where it will increase drag on the rotors. Ask them to drain the transmission the old fashioned way, via gravity.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
paul16451 said:
I always bring my own oil, because my local dealer does not carry full synthetic 5W-30. When I went to get my 15K service done, they forgot to use the oil I'd provided for them (fortunately my wife noticed the bottles still on the passenger seat once it was ready for pickup), so they drained it out and put the correct oil in, and then gave me a coupon to get the next oil change free.

Total cost of the 15K service was $153.
What else did they do for your $153 besides an oil change?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Had my 30K servicing today. When they did my 15K, they charged something like $275 and when I got home and looked at the service order, it was the generic Toyota 15k service plan listing everything they would do on any Toyota, including things like inspecting the non-existent rear differential. So I called them back, read my Prius maintenance manual to them, and they took about $120 off the price.

So today I brought the manual in with me because the prix fixe menu was $399. No way was I going to do that. So they did it for $147. I was delighted, and next time I'll bring my own oil. But I still had to spend over $300 because the fog light finally arrived (about $145). Interestingly, they didn't install it because they have to practically remove the bumper to do it and the labor cost would have been ridiculous. Joe of the Blue Team suggested I do it myself or have a cheaper mechanic do it. I like Joe.

Also had the stalling ECU recall done.

Susan

·
Registered
209 Posts
They did all the stuff listed in our maintenance manual for the 30K, except rotate tires because I asked them not to. I don't have that list on me but it includes changing out the engine air filter ($18.32) and cabin air filter ($24). There was a $29.95 charge for Mobil 1 oil. I never remember to go buy oil beforehand. There's a $75 for most of an hour's labor to do the servicing, which includes inspecting a list of about 12 things and topping off fluid levels. So do you think I was overcharged too badly? I was just pleased I didn't let them charge $399!! Next time I'll bring my own oil and perhaps change my own air filter and cabin air filter. Maybe that'll bring the labor charge all the way down to $74. :roll:

Getting 2 Michelin Hydroedge tires installed at my local mechanic's today or tomorrow. Thank you PriusOnline for all the info to make that choice very easy! How pathetic is this - I'm actually excited about new tires!!

I have to say I hate feeling like the dealership sees every customer who walks in as another rip-off opportunity, and even though I try to protect myself, I still feel like they get the last laugh. Or last buck.

Susan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Susan5s said:
They did all the stuff listed in our maintenance manual for the 30K, except rotate tires because I asked them not to. I don't have that list on me but it includes changing out the engine air filter ($18.32) and cabin air filter ($24). There was a $29.95 charge for Mobil 1 oil. I never remember to go buy oil beforehand. There's a $75 for most of an hour's labor to do the servicing, which includes inspecting a list of about 12 things and topping off fluid levels. So do you think I was overcharged too badly? I was just pleased I didn't let them charge $399!! Next time I'll bring my own oil and perhaps change my own air filter and cabin air filter. Maybe that'll bring the labor charge all the way down to $74. :roll:

Getting 2 Michelin Hydroedge tires installed at my local mechanic's today or tomorrow. Thank you PriusOnline for all the info to make that choice very easy! How pathetic is this - I'm actually excited about new tires!!

I have to say I hate feeling like the dealership sees every customer who walks in as another rip-off opportunity, and even though I try to protect myself, I still feel like they get the last laugh. Or last buck.

Susan
A bit high for the air filters, though I suppose that includes 1 minute labor charge (won't take more than that to install)

$75 for what? Unless you had a problem, there's no servicing to be done. If you press them against the wall, they'll admit they do most of those checks during an oil change anyway.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, Dan, I'm sure you're right. For the next servicing I've decided to go to my local mechanic, who also happens to be a mensch and a gentleman. After talking to him this afternoon while he was mounting the tires, I finally realized there's nothing he has to do on the hybrid components and I've been wasting money on the dealership every 5K. It's OK - for nothing more than my peace of mind, if anything went wrong during warrantee, they couldn't even try to accuse me of inadequate maintenance since they were the only ones to service the car.

Now I just have to decide whether to get the extended warrantee or if at the end of the day that's just a Toyota scam. Seems to me it's worth it if only for any TSB's come out. Recalls would be covered regardless of warantee status, wouldn't they?

Susan
31300 miles
42 mpg this tank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts