Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After struggling with the idea of where to put a standard DPDT switch to work with the “Speed Wire Interrupt” mod for my Prius, I found myself searching the Internet for a “wireless” device that would instead do the trick. After a long and arduous search, and ultimately not finding such a device, I ended up thinking about how to design one. I in turn found an electronics company who agreed to help design such a product. After production, the test marketing phase proved so successful that my business partner and I decided to form a new company called “Clicker Star.”

Our flagship device, the “RC-12VR” is a 12VDC wireless remote that includes an on-board DPDT relay. Aside from the wireless receiver and relay, the RC-12VR comes packaged with two key fobs, (each containing an on/off button and indicator light) and an assortment of wire connectors.

During the testing phase of the RC-12VR, I easily installed two of the remotes in my own Prius where one was used in the “Speed Wire Interrupt” (SWI) mod. The second one was used to remotely control a sub-woofer (Kenwood KSC-SW1) that I had previously installed. The “SWI” used the RC-12VR’s DPDT relay, while the sub-woofer was controlled by having the remote send power to the sub for on/off operation.

A great place to mount a key fob is on the back of the steering wheel. I mounted both of mine using some Velcro on the left and right side where my fingers can easily reach. This keeps it out of sight and easily accessible.

Also as a bonus, my business partner and I agreed that offering a $10 discount to other Prius owners would be a nice gesture since owning a Prius myself helped to create the RC-12VR initially. On the main page of the website, click on the multi-colored star at the bottom and then enter the word “prius” (no quotes) for the username and password. There you’ll find suggested uses for the RC-12VR in the Prius as well as installation tips, and a button linking to the discount page. Click here for the Clicker Star website.

Enjoy…

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
$70 seems steep for what amounts to a wireless switch.

I am sure there are plenty of wireless switches out there. Many products already use them.
Burglar alarm remotes, garage door remotes, lamp remotes, heck I even have a remote with a receiver that connects to the USB port of my computer so I can control multimedia with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanMan32 said:
$70 seems steep for what amounts to a wireless switch.

I am sure there are plenty of wireless switches out there. Many products already use them.
Burglar alarm remotes, garage door remotes, lamp remotes, heck I even have a remote with a receiver that connects to the USB port of my computer so I can control multimedia with it.
The price for prius owners is not $70, it's $59.95 (Please read entire thread). Also, there are not "plenty of wireless switches out there" that offer the same functionality as the RC-12VR. If you actually put the time in you'll find this to be true. Also if there are so many wireless switches out there (as you say), why then are Prius owners installing standard switches in their glove box and mag switches in their storage lids?

Please do your homework first before chiming in with negative responses. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Because they have no reason to install such a switch.

Your retail is $70 (I'll give you the nickel). $10 for us isn't much of a discount, even $60 (again, keep the nickel) is steep.

Try an alarm supply, RC hobby shop, and experimenter's supplies, I am sure you'll find something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanMan32 said:
Because they have no reason to install such a switch.

Your retail is $70 (I'll give you the nickel). $10 for us isn't much of a discount, even $60 (again, keep the nickel) is steep.

Try an alarm supply, RC hobby shop, and experimenter's supplies, I am sure you'll find something.
How then can you install a "speed wire interrupt" mod or a "anytime reverse video" mod in a Prius ??? You need a switch to do that !!! Search the posts and you'll find everyone has installed standard switches for these mods in their glove box, or other areas on the dash which are difficult to get to while driving. The RC-12VR key fob can be mounted right behind the steering wheel by your fingers. How cool is that?

Also, you keep implying that there is already something like my product available on the market at a much lower price. I have spent an enormous amount of time researching this and have only found one product that comes close to mine. It sells for $127.68 and requires extra soldering. My product costs a lot less and requires no soldering.

If you're so sure that there is something out there that is similar to mine at a lessor price, then please point it out to me. Until then, please stop trying to make my product out to be a worthless buy. Thanks...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, one does need a switch, but it doesn't have to be wireless! I'd rather use a $2 switch than pay $60-70 for a wireless remote that I don't intend to use away from the driver seat!
If it has to be hidden, one can use a magnetic switch for a few dollars more than the $2 switch.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Dan,

Excuse me for butting in, but about that $30 item in your 12:51 AM post : Isn't that 433.9 frequency that it transmits on the same one that was talked about a while back as interfering with some operation of the Prius?? Such as the fob maybe?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanMan32 said:
Even cheaper/better for this application:
http://www.directron.com/rm01.html
Nice to know that I’ve consistently gone down to one pip on my fuel gauge and I haven’t run out of gas yet, but this exchange sure is…don’t you think? I will say this though; at least you’ve stopped assuming things and are finally doing some leg work, thanks! But I’ll see your nickels worth of perseverance and raise you a dimes worth of persistence. Speaking of dimes, I found a standard switch for $1.90. If you buy two, the price goes down to $1.50 each…now there’s a buy !!! No seriously folks, you came close, but this is not about nickels and dimes, it’s about convenience. Sure you can use a standard switch and hide it in your glove box (as many people have). Nothing wrong with that, unless of course you’re looking for convenience, the wireless kind !!! Naturally that is always going to cost a little more. I could have opted to not install an automatic garage door opener and gotten out of the car and opened the door myself, but I opted for convenience and paid a few bucks for it in the process.

The RM-01 you found falls way short as it only remotely provides 12VDC, no switching option at all…end of story. The HD2Combo comes a little closer, but in the case of the “speed wire interrupt” mod for example, would force you to press two separate buttons, one for the Nav system and the other for the BT system. Nice in a sense, but I can see that type of key fob causing some confusion along the way. “…which one did I just turn on…no wait, Nav is on and BT is off, what the heck…oh man…” Again, nice in a sense, but the RC-12VR is simple in the way that the “entire” speed sensing systems is either on or off. We’re talking convenience here, remember? Some people might appreciate that !!! Not to mention the fact that the HD2Combo despite its two “separate” channels is just a PC board (no protective case) and does not include wire, an extra key fob, wire connectors or an “additional 12VDC switched power supply” which could be used in other applications…the RC-12VR does !!! Also, the transmitting frequency of my device does not interfere with the operation of the Prius.

Again, I think it’s great that you’ve done some homework, but it would be nice if after all the work I’ve put in to developing this device you’d maybe at least say “something nice” about it and stop putting it down. Why don’t you let those wanting the convenience my product offers decide its value?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
LITTE more? Try 30-60 times more than a simple switch!

My point was that there was other less expensive options, including a wireless one, and I showed this to be true.

There are other even less expensive wireless devices that could be taken apart and modified to provide the function. Even the one you balked outputs 12V could be connected to a $5 (or less) DP relay and provide the 'switch only' function you seek.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DanMan32 said:
LITTE more? Try 30-60 times more than a simple switch!

My point was that there was other less expensive options, including a wireless one, and I showed this to be true.

There are other even less expensive wireless devices that could be taken apart and modified to provide the function. Even the one you balked outputs 12V could be connected to a $5 (or less) DP relay and provide the 'switch only' function you seek.
Bye Bye...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Who would put a speed sensor defeat switch in the glove compartment? There is a switch blank right on the dash next to the dinner wheel. Hardly a reach to hit it when you want to use the defeat.

This thread belonged in a vendor forum anyway, since he was looking to sell his item.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.