Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Prius in February 2004 (New). I have 115,000 miles on it , and do regular recommended maintenance. Three sets of tires and a display replacement are the only major maintenance issues. Average MPG is 53-60 depending on road conditions, outside temperature, and who or what else is in the car with me.

My questions: Are there others out there with similar high miles? What other issues may be in store for me that lower mileage cars may not have seen yet? Does Toyota have any programs for inspecting/looking at a high mileage car?

Cheers
Karen V
Pawtucket, RI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
I have heard of several other people that have achieved mileage on a 2G Prius near or beyond what you have, but it's a fairly elite group at this point.

I've not hear of any issues with the Prius at this mark and it isn't something you should start worrying about now. I'm not aware of any 'inspection program'. I presume you had the 100k mile maintainence performed (the PSD fluid change), they should have done a pretty careful brake inspection and checked the various other items that can wear out.

I suspect that if you begin to have a problem it will initially show itself via a loss in performance/Fuel economy. But I also suspect you've got another 100k miles plus before you need to start thinking about that.

Happy motoring!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Actually, its the coolant fluids that get changed at 100K (inverter, ICE and storage tank). PSD isn't mentioned as being required, though I would agree it would be a good idea at this point if it has never been done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Actually, its the coolant fluids that get changed at 100K (inverter, ICE and storage tank). PSD isn't mentioned as being required, though I would agree it would be a good idea at this point if it has never been done.
Ugh! yea, that's what I meant and just get that stuff still bungled in my head. The Toyota Super Long Life Coolants, 100k first change then 50k miles thereafter I think is the rec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
Travelingsalesgirl said:
I bought my Prius in February 2004 (New). I have 115,000 miles on it , and do regular recommended maintenance. Three sets of tires and a display replacement are the only major maintenance issues.
Did the MFD go out under warranty or did you have to pay for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
For detailed info. do a search on "Prius taxi" and you'll find several outfits that run them, currently well past your mileage. They even list the maintenance records if you're interested in that.

Toyota did take back their first Prius taxi, a Classic model (and replaced it with a 2004 - no charge). As I recall it had well over 300,000 km on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the MFD go out under warranty or did you have to pay for it?[/quote]


It was still under 100K warranty (99,950!). (being a traveling sales girl, I figured I'd run through the origianl warranty very rapidly (7 months I think).

It was first an intermittent problem, then the screen went totally out. No radio/cd, no a/c, no bluetooth, no GPS. Amazing how fast you miss the little things!

If I had paid for it, the cost on the service slip was approx betwee $500 and $750 ...

I do worry it will do it again... does the replacement MFD carry its own warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
It was a problem with 2004s made before summer, but not too many problems after that.

I take it that by 100K you mean the extended warranty? Otherwise the display is only covered for 36K.

Looks like Toyota might have to include 100K bumper-bumper warranty, now that GM is jumping into the standard along with Hyunday and Kia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Although DanMan32 is correct on the PSD fluid not having a scheduled change interval, some work by Bob Wilson in the Prius Yahoo groups suggests that the fluid does wear. At approx. $80 for a change it is cheap insurance for another 100K miles.

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I agree with Wayne as It was my 2004 Prius at 61,000 miles that gave Bob Wilson the required data (ATF oil analysis) to determine that the Type WS ATF oil in 'Gen 2' Prii appears to be good for about 60,000 miles.

It was Bob's earlier work on the 'Gen 1" (uses Type IV ATF) that prompted me to change and test my ATF oil. I'm glad I did.

JeffD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
redwein said:
GM's 5 year/100,000 warranty is for the powertrain only.
It's still better than what Toyota offers, and it includes roadside assistance during the 5/100K period. It's a shrewd move on GM's part, as they already have fewer powertrain warranty claims than anyone else, so this really doesn't cost them that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
AH! you're right! And it is only 5 years, though for me that probably wouldn't matter. Depending on make, basic warranty is either 3/36 or 4/50
Kia is also 100K/10yr on powertrain. Basic warranty is 60K/5yr.
Hyundai is the same way as Kia: 10/100 powertrain, 5/60 everything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
redwein said:
GM's 5 year/100,000 warranty is for the powertrain only.
It's still better than what Toyota offers, and it includes roadside assistance during the 5/100K period. It's a shrewd move on GM's part, as they already have fewer powertrain warranty claims than anyone else, so this really doesn't cost them that much.
From where do you get your assertion "as they already have fewer powertrain warranty claims than anyone else"? I've not seen anything that backs that up at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Well, as I said a while ago, the wholesale price of the 7/100 basic extended warranty is less than $1000 so Toyota could afford to bundle it into their vehicles.
But then the consumer could do the same thing, opting to accept it, or not accept it. The problem though is the haggling the consumer has to do because of greedy dealer tactics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
cwerdna said:
From where do you get your assertion "as they already have fewer powertrain warranty claims than anyone else"? I've not seen anything that backs that up at all.
It was in a Forbes article that was talking about the recall. And, just FYI, Powertrain claims != total claims. But in any case, I think Toyota is leading in warranty/recall claims this year. :)

DanMan32 said:
Well, as I said a while ago, the wholesale price of the 7/100 basic extended warranty is less than $1000 so Toyota could afford to bundle it into their vehicles.
It's not just the warranty. It's also free roadside assitance, which Toyota has dropped entirely. And as someone who has been the beneficiary of the roadside assitance during the two times when my Prius keeled over and died, I was very shocked to find out they pulled that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
cwerdna said:
From where do you get your assertion "as they already have fewer powertrain warranty claims than anyone else"? I've not seen anything that backs that up at all.
It was in a Forbes article that was talking about the recall. And, just FYI, Powertrain claims != total claims. But in any case, I think Toyota is leading in warranty/recall claims this year. :)
Link to the Forbes article? I did some Google searches with for stuff along these lines w/the restriction site:forbes.com and found nothing to substantiate your claim.

BTW, I just stumbled across this while digging for info http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 148/AUTO01

"Toyota's warranty costs average just $348 per vehicle, compared to $512 at GM, $585 at Ford and $595 at Chrysler."

I later found this PDF http://www.aiag.org/press/releases/GENE ... 100506.pdf .

The above data was for 2005 when GM was only doing 3 years/36K for their basic and powertrain warranty for most brands and 4 year/50K miles for Cadillac, Saab, Hummer and Buick.

Toyota has been doing 3 years/36K for the basic warranty and 5 years/60K on powertrain for ages. That was the level of coverage on our former 91 Camry. Lexus offers a 4 year/50K basic warranty and 6 years/70K on the powertrain. I'm unclear how long they've been doing this (possibly from the start of the brand).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
cwerdna said:
BTW, I just stumbled across this while digging for info http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 148/AUTO01
And again, you're talking per vehicle. Not powertrain. GM's warranty is specifically powertrain, and they do have the lowest cost for powertrain warranty claims in the industry. Which is why this warranty was really a no-brainer for them (think about it). As for a link, I can probably dig up the article out of the print copy, but I don't know if it's online for non-subscribers.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top