Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring has sprung and with the bigger numbers on the thermometer, the MPG is way up. I got 49 indicated and 53 calculated on my last tank, which is better than any mixed driving tank I got last summer. Finally I got that "break-in period" increase in the mileage. It's a challenge to see how often I can work that into the conversation at work when people are belly-aching about the price of gas. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
You must have a similar climate... I just got my first 48 mpg tank and I have high hopes to get 50 soon. And I'm just approaching 10k miles, so this really seems to be the break-in period. Or maybe the Prius is just celebrating spring :D
It is nice to mention the milage, especially when talking to the SUV-driving coworkers! :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I finally got to 60 after 200 miles on this last tank. It'll probably drop to 59 or so when I leave work though. The warmup period is a killer!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I guess I drive too hard. I've never gotten more than about 45, and temps are moderate in SoCal. Hills, freeway, suburban... I guess all these can conspire to drop mpg, but it's hard to get an increase, and with temps warming, I'm using a/c again in the afternoon commute, so I don't expect it to improve.

45 is nothing to whine about, especially with gas prices where they are and everyone else getitng half or a third of this. But I wonder what I'm doing wrong to never approach the magic half century. I'm usually pretty good at coaxing mpg out of a car when I try, but I seem to get a consistent 45 in godo weather, 43 in rainy weather, no matter how I drive. (5K miles on odo)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yesterday the heavy winds and rain kept my new tank in the mid 40's...

Too bad I wasn't going the other way

·
Registered
298 Posts
My car went through the 10K period at the begining of winter, so I didn't see an improvement. So, I was getting between 47 and 48 MPG per tank. Now that it's been warming up a bit, I've been seeing 50 and 51 MPG tanks ... with a close 52.

As DanMan stated, warm-up is a killer! Every morning I have to try to recover what I lost during warm-up. I usually get there by the time I get to work. :cry:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I didn't seem to experience any kind of break-in improvement. I'm close to 15k miles now, and I got 48mpg-ish right from Day 1. It went down to the low 40's during our rainy and mildly chilly (I won't say "cold" and insult our Northern brethren and, uh, sisteren? (Which is it, Michelle? You seem to have an answer for everything.)) season.

Now that it's officially spring and reliably warm and sunny around these parts, I'm pegged right back at my ol' reliable 48mpg again.

Not bad for A/C always on "Auto", and up 'n down thru a mountain pass every day to work.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thomme said:
...(I won't say "cold" and insult our Northern brethren and, uh, sisteren? (Which is it, Michelle? You seem to have an answer for everything.)) season...
So long as you don't use "cistern." :roll:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the jump is at 10K kilometers, not miles. I noticed it at 7000 miles. This may be why people don't see it at 10, it already happened 3000 miles earlier.

I suddenly got 5-8mpg better after our car turned 7000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts