Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Just wanted to share a really cool story...

My partner and I spent the weekend at our Big Bear Lake house, taking our Prius up there for the first time, and as we coasted our way down the mountain we acheived 100mpg for over 30 minutes! We didn't use any gas at all, although we used a lot getting up the mountain. We had so much fun watching the consumption display that we took a pic. We also fully recharged the battery pack, something we've never been able to do before.

Also, this was the first time we saw the snowflake icon as temps dipped below 37 degrees without snow, rain or even clouds. I have to say that icon is the most useless of all. We already knew it was cold outside, the temp display told us that but there was no risk of black ice, etc. It would make more sense if Toyota put the icon on there to tell you when your car was going to freeze or have problems running because of the cold.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes, it's really exciting the first time that happens:

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4905

When we did that, I thought it would probably never happen again, but it turns out it's the norm when driving from Woodland Park to Colorado Springs, if you don't go too fast.

The European read-out - units of gasoline per mile instead of miles per unit of gasoline - would be better in these extreme situations. You'd know when you were actually using a little gas (as we were after the first 15 minutes, just not enough gas to get below 99.9 mpg) and when you were actually getting infinite mpg.

P.S. - You must have had some serious climbing to have such low mpg after 30 minutes of practically coasting! :shock:

·
Registered
151 Posts
At 3% grade (not very steep), 50 miles (i.e., 100 mph for 1/2 hour) is about 8000' drop. I've never seen a road drop more than 20 miles.

·
Registered
669 Posts
MtnTraveler said:
At 3% grade (not very steep), 50 miles (i.e., 100 mph for 1/2 hour) is about 8000' drop. I've never seen a road drop more than 20 miles.
And the point of that is.... ??? The math works, but it doesn't seem relevant.

I think there are some routes around here that produce a net loss of altitute for longer than 20 miles, and to achieve that kind of efficiency you'd need to be driving more like 50mph not 100 mph, but that aside, what does this have to do with being able to go half an hour and show an average of 100 mpg? I've done it, too, once or twice.

When coasting or in regen or on electric only the actual mpg going into the calculation is essentially infinite. You cover miles without using ANY gallons. You can do this on a VERY slight grade. If the road were dead flat on average, you might find the car doing this about half the time. If you are doing pretty good the rest of the time, when you are using some gas, then you will find the average mpg pretty high. I've never done better than 50 mpg on a tank, but I've had periods of nirvana, especially crawling down windy mountain roads...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was wondering how someone could drive 100 mph for 30 minutes with no gas. So had to calculate one possibility. Usually mountain passes are steeper than 3%, but maybe a railroad grade could go on that far. The Great Plains are what... 4,000' or 5,000'? So you'd have to drop from 12,000'.

If there is a hill that long, I wanna ride down on my bike. I rode down from Hoosier Pass towards Denver for a 20 mile drop... incredibly fun. Also riding down 18 miles from Hurrican Ridge to Port Angeles is a good ride. Woo-hoo!

--Edit--------

Oh. 100 mpg! I read mph. My bad.

never mind!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts