Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my 10,000 mile service, and I'm experiencing a bit of sticker shock. Toyota Of Melbourne charged me $80.40.

According to the blue "2004 Prius Scheduled Maintenence Guide", the only things listed are
  • Replace engine oil and filter
    Rotate tires
    Visually Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/disks
Toyota of Melbourne is using their own book, and for 10,000 it says:
  • Replace engine oil and filter
    Lubricate Chassis
    Inspect All V Belts
    Check C.V. Boot (As Applicable)
    Rotate Tires
    Clean & Adjust Brakes & Note Wear
    Set Engine to Factory Approved Specifications
    Clean Battery Terminals
    Adjust Clutch (As Applicable)
    Inspect & Adjust All Fluid Levels
    Adjust Tire Pressure
    Road Test
So how badly did I get ripped off? Anyone else mind posting what they paid for their 10,000 mile checkup?

I've already determined that once again, they failed to change the tire pressure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
At a quick lube place I paid $18.95 for the oil change and $4.00 for the tire rotation. The same thing at the local Totota dealership would have cost about $60. They do have a nice air conditioned waiting room, a very nice showroom, many employees, etc. I keep away from the dealer as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the 5,000 mile was only $25.00 and when the difference is only $2.05 I'd just as soon have the air conditioned waiting room.

Well, having driven the car another 75 miles since I pulled out of the shop, I've discovered a couple more things they haven't done, or have done incorrectly.

Keeping it all in one place:

1. Tire pressure reads 40 front / 42 rear Not adjusted after rotate!
2. Oil level is 1/4" above top dot on dipstick. Too much oil added
3. MAINT REQD lite came on at 9975. Not cleared from computer.

My odometer read 2 miles farther than when I started, so they did do the "Road Test"

Since my MPG average only went down by .2 I can guess they didn't do anything that required the ICE to idle like "Set Engine To FActory Approved Specifications"

I've not pried up the battery cover to see if "Clean Battery Terminals" is complite, but I suspect that when I do, I won't see any evidence that they were.

They DID add winshield washer fluid, so I guess I'd have to say they did "Inspect and Adjust all Fluid Levels"

·
Registered
110 Posts
just had my oil changed using mobil 1 and new filter. it was (including tax)51 bucks. labor is stated at 78 an hour. i know that its way too expensive but to me its still worth it. if i was driving a chevy or ford that these little oil change places do all the time id go to them. i just want toyota to be responsible for any mistake made. ive already saved so much by driving "smiley" that the rip off is something ill continue to do with my eyes wide open. prctical ? probably no. safer and more comfy yes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
melgish said:
So how badly did I get ripped off? Anyone else mind posting what they paid for their 10,000 mile checkup?
I've been taking my car in at 3K intervals. Each checkup is basically the same and includes items like those you indicated (tires, fluids, battery, etc.). The cost for this service is $25.00; $23.00 now that I've started providing them with 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1.
Good luck,
Moo :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any trip to the dealer that costs me less than $100, I feel lucky.

Out here they charge about $80 just to hook up a diagnostic computer.

At least you got something tangible for your $88.

Robert

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'll wait for verification from my credit card company, but after talking with the service manager about things they missed, he's agreed to refund my money.

Before taking the car in, I'd called and asked if a Prius savy tech would be there to do the work... Aparently because it was just an oil change and rotation, they gave the work to another guy.

I wonder if that's why he agreed so quickly...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most of those should be free?

So far I haven't had to pay anything for any of my services at the Toyota dealer. The (classic) Prius came with a certain number of free services, and my salesperson went through the service schedule and marked the ones which could potentially be more expensive and said "use your free services for these" and "get the other ones done wherever you want." So I do the lesser-demanding of the regular services myself and take it to my dealer for the bigger ones - which are still free for now. I'm not sure why you had to pay anything. Of course, they may simply not offer the same deal on the new Prius. I'll know in just a couple weeks when we finally get our new one. I do have to bring my own oil as Toyota doesn't have any full synthetics to offer, but I don't have to pay Toyota for any of the other stuff, including the filters etc.

Unfortunately, I frequently have the same problem with auto service that you describe. They don't ever seem to do things correctly or thoroughly.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
complimentary services

The classic Prius in the US came with
the first 5 regularly scheduled services
free from Toyota. Exactly which
services are outlined in your Prius
Passport to Performance booklet
(scheduled maintenance guide). Look
for the footnotes...

but no, the complimentary services
were not carried over to the new
2004/2005 Prius. Any free services
for those are a dealer loyalty thing,
not something from Toyota.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: complimentary services

mrv said:
but no, the complimentary services
were not carried over to the new
2004/2005 Prius. Any free services
for those are a dealer loyalty thing,
not something from Toyota.
In Belgium and Luxembourg all 2004/2005 Prius (which is not a very large number) are sold with 5 years free servicing as part of the deal - I believe this is a policy of Toyota Belgium. The service schedule is something like:

- full service every 2 years (or at 30,000 km if sooner)
- oil change and basic checks every year or 15,000 km.

So the 5 year deal includes 2 full services and additional 3 annual oil changes. As there is also a 5 year warranty (8 years on hybrid drivetrain), I was told that until 2010 my Prius will cost nothing for service except the tyres. As mine is not due to be delivered until February, I haven't been able to test this yet.

John Allen
Bofferdange, Luxembourg

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
Well, the 5,000 mile was only $25.00 and when the difference is only $2.05 I'd just as soon have the air conditioned waiting room.

Well, having driven the car another 75 miles since I pulled out of the shop, I've discovered a couple more things they haven't done, or have done incorrectly.

Keeping it all in one place:

1. Tire pressure reads 40 front / 42 rear Not adjusted after rotate!
2. Oil level is 1/4" above top dot on dipstick. Too much oil added
3. MAINT REQD lite came on at 9975. Not cleared from computer.

My odometer read 2 miles farther than when I started, so they did do the "Road Test"

Since my MPG average only went down by .2 I can guess they didn't do anything that required the ICE to idle like "Set Engine To FActory Approved Specifications"

I've not pried up the battery cover to see if "Clean Battery Terminals" is complite, but I suspect that when I do, I won't see any evidence that they were.

They DID add winshield washer fluid, so I guess I'd have to say they did "Inspect and Adjust all Fluid Levels"

I would have never thought to check the tire pressure after a rotation. You are a very suspicious (and correctly so) customer. At least you can confirm they moved the tires. Glad you got a response to your complaint.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It wasn't exactly suspicion. I'm running 42 front/40 rear, and I expected them to lower the tires to the factory recommended pressure after the rotate. I figured I'd have to bring them back up again.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
It wasn't exactly suspicion. I'm running 42 front/40 rear, and I expected them to lower the tires to the factory recommended pressure after the rotate. I figured I'd have to bring them back up again.
I found when I brought my tires up to 42/40 the ride was harsher, that I felt every little pavement bump. I backed it off to 40/38. Didn't really notice any significant drop in MPG.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
Well, I hope you didn't take it for it's first oil change at 3000 miles. That's a no-no. :)
My first service was at 4400. I've never heard of too frequent an oil change. Why would 3K be a mistake?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
moocatdog said:
Jonnycat26 said:
Well, I hope you didn't take it for it's first oil change at 3000 miles. That's a no-no. :)
My first service was at 4400. I've never heard of too frequent an oil change. Why would 3K be a mistake?

some brands of automobiles (so I
hear) ship with a special starter
type of engine oil, to help break-in
of the engine.

The bigger question is how much
waste oil do you want to generate.
Even the 7500 mile interval on the
Classic US Prius is considered far
shorter than the oil change interval
for the Prius in the rest of the
world...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have to respective ly dis agree on the first oil change. the first one should probably done very soon to get rid of all the break in metals etc. howevr, i dont think you should switch to mobil 1 for at least 3000 miles or so. its so good that it might not help your rings seat properly. so... i of course am disagreeing with the oil thread and agreeing at the same time ! pretty darn impressive huh!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts