Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Behmon said:
I, for one, was told that I would receive my Prius in December (this month) and was later told that it would be six more months or more. As I mentioned in another thread, Toyota is manufacturing the cars fast enough, however, the transmission and battery manufacturers cannot keep up with demand.
Please post the exact reference for that information. You are the only one I've heard mention this and I'd like further evidence that it is correct.

I don't know about you, but I expect to receive exactly what I ordered in a reasonable amount of time. If you were at a fine dining establishment would you accept a Happy Meal in place of the Steak and Lobster you ordered!? I would think not.
In some ways I agree with your general sentiment, but the Prius is not a steak and lobster meal. If you want to use that metaphor then let's imagine that the restraunt in question was having a deal on Steak and lobster but did not want to order too many lobsters and have them go to waste b/c they weren't sure if the townfolk would like lobster (it's the first time it's been served in that town). Turns out it IS very popular and they run out. They realized, at some point, that they were going to run out and began scrambling to get more shipped in, but there will be a lag. And some customers will gladly wait knowing just how great lobster is, others will not feel that it is worth it. It all comes down to what's most important to you. This is not some evil plot by Toyota to piss off customers you know, I'm sure they'd love to get a Prius in the hands of everyone who has one pre-ordered and then some, but the response to this car is totally overwhelming. There were nearly as many Pre-orders before this car hit the dealerships as there were 2003 models total!! How, exactly, would you expect them to anticipate and respond to that?

It seems to me they're trying to streamline the production process by limiting the models they're making and getting them out as fast as possible. Remember, also, that the demand in Japan and worldwide has been similar to the US market and puts further demands on the production capacity.

What happened to the American consumer? Why are we changing the orders promised to us just to get any car the manufacturer feels like delivering? Will you be happy with your decision once the novelty wears off? I bet not.
"Novelty"?? Man, either you're looking at this car for the totally wrong reason or you fail to grasp it's genious. You're clearly bitter and upset, but I think you're really getting off base with your reasoning.

Though I adore the Prius, I do not agree with how Toyota is handling the pre-existing orders and have canceled mine. I feel much better for it! Instead, I plan to purchase another car for now and see what technology exists five years from now (I am considering the Civic Hybrid among others).
I'm glad you feel better, and it's probably best that you cancelled your order b/c with the attitude you display you almost certainly would have found unacceptable fault with the Prius and not have been happy. I am thrilled with my decision, with 2000 miles and 6+ weeks under my belt in the car my satisfaction is growing daily.

I am willing to bet that the 2004 Prius is plagued with mechanical problems, due in part to the new technology and in part to the hurried building process as a result of the cult following.
I'll take that bet...are you interested in money or what? My build is tight, no problems at 2000 miles, the reports of problems are negligilble thus far. Toyota has a great reputation for building great vehicles with minimal problems and long life. I forsee no reason that would change with this vehicle. I refuse to believe they'd lower their standards to meet demand, and, in fact, if your prior arguments about the delays are true it seems that they're not just cranking out vehicles to meet the demand but are maintaining production and putting out vehicles one at a time and getting them to the customers when the vehicle is ready.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your bitterness. I do understand your frustration. I do respect your right to cancel your order and to do what makes you happy. But stomping your foot and sticking our your lower lip serves no good purpose nor does spreading your ill feelings on this board. I don't think your bitterness is shared nor representative of most other people. Making statements that the car will be shodily built based on zero facts is just not reasonable.

I wish you well, I hope you find a nice car that satisfies your needs and I'm sorry that the Prius isn't that vehicle for you, but please keep your ill will to yourself. If you must then share your frustration with Toyota. I certainly did in the survey I recieved yesterday. The specificly asked about the ordering and allocation process and I waxed on for a couple paragraphs about the frustration and confusion created by the process and how 'un-modern' it is and how little communication goes on b/w Toyota the manufacturer, the regional Toyota dealers and the individual dealers and ultimately to the customer. I think they're listening, or they wouldn't ask.

Best wishes.
--evan

Good luck to you.[/quote]

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Toyota's November sales of the Prius were TWICE the best ever single month for the Classic Prius. 10,000 have gone out since October. If one can't see or understand that demand is far exceeding the supply their not trying. I'm just sad that some can't see the positive side of this and what it means for hybrid technology in general and the Prius in particular.
--evan
http://tinyurl.com/xf99

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I think your follow-up is good. I still don't see eye to eye on all your points but you did a good job of clarifying your position. I think there was a lot of passion (if not bitterness) in the original post.

I'll just say that I hope that flaws do not show up in the 'rush to get more out'--that could certainly bode poorly for the Prius and Hybrids in general if the impression came to pass that the vehicle had "problems".

Lastly, Toyota has limited the packages they're putting out. There are only 3 packages available in the largest market in the US (California), I don't know the details of the package availability in other markets, but I do know that they are limited.

Thanks for your reasoned response...I hope you change your mind and decide to wait on a Prius. As you say, I'm a satisfied customer and I think, ultimately, you'll regret not getting a Prius when you had the chance.
--evan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.