Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb here...

Daughter moved to NYC and took our '08 Prius. She uses the car once a week at best. Often just to move to a new parking spot.

Anyway, today, the battery was dead. Bought a new battery and Toyota dealer told her driving once a week was not sufficient and to expect the battery to die often. Now wondering if her driving habits make sense to own a Prius?

Can it sit for a week at a time, then only get driven for 30-40 minutes - once a week?

Other than this dead battery, the car has been flawless. The most reliable car I've ever owned - hands down.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The mechanic is right. There are quite a few things that keep running even when it's shut off. If you have the key-less fob, that mean the cars computer is constantly monitoring for that fobs signal, and the computer itself will drain the battery. Now I don't know about just a week long as the only experience I have is when my Prius was sitting in the "waiting for parts" lot at the dealer. There has been a rash of Cat. Converter theft around here and there was a large back order for them because of that. Anyway, it took over 3 weeks for my turn in line to get the one that had come in (there were six others before me and it was the same at all the dealers in the county), and mine was dead. They tried to sell me a new battery, telling me they had tried to charge it and it was just bad. I decided to charge it while driving it home, so they jump started it and 3 months later it is still going strong (but I drive mine (running my grand daughter all around). The only fix I could think of is to have a key controlled battery disconnect on the aux. battery and that would prevent the battery drain. The only problem with that is that then you wouldn't have the alarm feature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newb here...

Daughter moved to NYC and took our '08 Prius. She uses the car once a week at best. Often just to move to a new parking spot.

Anyway, today, the battery was dead. Bought a new battery and Toyota dealer told her driving once a week was not sufficient and to expect the battery to die often. Now wondering if her driving habits make sense to own a Prius?

Can it sit for a week at a time, then only get driven for 30-40 minutes - once a week?

Other than this dead battery, the car has been flawless. The most reliable car I've ever owned - hands down.

Thanks for your advice.
I think your dealer does not give very good info. A Prius 12V battery is no different from any other battery. I have worked on cars for years, and do not think a battery will go flat in just a week... I really do not think the key fob current is more than a few milliamps. Maybe there are other drains on the battery. Check the alternator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think your dealer does not give very good info. A Prius 12V battery is no different from any other battery. I have worked on cars for years, and do not think a battery will go flat in just a week... I really do not think the key fob current is more than a few milliamps. Maybe there are other drains on the battery. Check the alternator.
...and lots of luck if the 'geneator' (not alternator on the Pruis)is bad, because it requires removal of the engine a,d splitting the case to access the generator, =$$$$- but not a common issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts