Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I Got the red triangle with ! and all warning lights lit up like Christmas lights while hitting 55 on the hwy. Before I could find a place to safely park, rapidly it lost power and it come to a halt.

Also I got the "Add Fuel" warning message on the screen while attempting to restart it. I am sure I filled it up a few days before and I would not have used them all this soon. However adding another 2 gallons of gas didn't help either.

Car totally stopped (immobilized) after couple of attempts to drive it. The shifter is not shifting anymore from Neutral to Drive or Neutral to Reverse. Only it shifts from Parking to Neutral.

Appreciate any idea to get it back to normal? Any magic switches to reset?

TIA

·
Registered
258 Posts
A car this complex, when it's this new, is an immediate "call your dealer" answer.

Something went Tango Uniform, and they'll have the tools to diagnose what.

Frankly, it doesn't take much.

·
Registered
991 Posts
hyperion said:
And when you said you added two gallons, I hope you meant you refilled the tank.
He/she probably had roadside assistance or had someone bring a jug of gasoline to fill the tank.. this is what happens when you "Run out of fuel" on the road.. it's harder to carry a whole 8-10 gallons to refill ya on the go ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOLVED:

Problem is the dry tank, but I think it also got some air suck into the fuel lines. After towing to the dealer the problem resolved. He said he had to drain the fuel line and reset the computer. In a realistic situation like mine its hard to get anything more than 2gal (minus some spil during the refil) or more of gas, unless the car is towed to a gas station insted to the dealer.

I think all Prius owner should be pre warned about the capacity of fuel in the reserve (tank). I still dont get a clear picture how much is that 1gal or 1.5gal.? Also it has an Emission Bladder inside the fuel tank which keep expanding to fill the void created as the gas is being get used, this bladder expansion and contraction is not constant and it varies btwn hot and cold climate, which makes it impossible to caliber a tank. This is just my openion.

Thank you all for your helpful and encouraging feedbacks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think all Prius owner should be pre warned about the capacity of fuel in the reserve (tank).
"Pre warned"? As opposed simply to being warned?

Doesn't "warning" carry with it the concept of "pre"?

There is no "pre warned".

As for being warned, read the owner's manual. It's there for a reason.

By what you didn't say, it's obvious that you played the silly game of "how long can I go before running out of gas?" It's a stupid game, actually, and one that you never played before, which leads me to ask why you chose to play it now?

What is it about buying a Prius that makes people do stupid things like "let's see how many miles I can get on the trip odometer before it runs out of gas"? Yeah, runs out of gas--on the highway, in traffic, stranding you and endangering everyone else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pretty harsh response without knowing all the details, but probably a correct assumption. When the last digit is flashing on the fuel gauge, the amount of fuel left over is very inconsistent. Most cars give you plenty of warning that your fuel is low and this is why so many Prius owners push it alittle too far. So I can see someone thinking they had plenty of fuel, especially in a hybrid known for great mileage.

My Acura Integra on the other hand would give you another 75 miles after the yellow warning light appeared. If you had owned that car prior to owning the Prius, I can see how you would feel there was more gas available when the flashing begins.

The 2007 owners manual states to refuel at 1/4 tank and if you see the last dash flashing, refuel ASAP. I filled the tank today with only two dashes left on the fuel gauge. But I was only able to fit 7.5 gallons of gas to fill it. And that is in the hot FL climate where the tank should hold the maximum amount. The tank capacity is listed at 11.9 gals, less if your in a cooler climate. So with only two dashes on the gauge, I should have had another 4.4 gals in the tank according to what I pumped in. That is alot of unused mileage at 47 MPG. And that is refilling at just two dashes, imagine if it was at 1/4 tank like the manual says. At 1/4 tank, our cars will go further than whole tanks on other cars. Ok, I'm starting to babble on.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
PriusLove said:
At 1/4 tank, our cars will go further than whole tanks on other cars. Ok, I'm starting to babble on.
Yes, but going from full to 1/4 tank already went way further than other cars on a tank. The bottom line is that when the gauge tells you that you are going to run out of gas, there is no excuse for not filling up before it actually runs out. I'm not saying rush out when it gets down to 1/4, but clearly when it is down to 1 pip and especially when it starts to blink you should be making plans to get gas very soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car had one pip remaining (not flashing). I got fuel and I noticed the pump had not shut off at 11.8 gals. I stopped the pump and removed the nozzle and I could see the gas was almost at the top of the neck, so with one pip I probably only had a gallon or so left.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hyperion said:
Except, it does seem by the postings that because of the bladder and outside temperature no two cars are the same.
That's funny, I would reach a differnt conclusion. I would conclude that no two Prius drivers are the same. Since the Prius is mass produced, I would assume that most Prius are very similar. :wink:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Pump differences can account for some of this too. I imagine that there is a great deal of variability in the fuel flow and the sensitivity of the shutoff mechanism. Local environment factors such as temperature can cause big differences too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Pre warned"? As opposed simply to being warned?

Doesn't "warning" carry with it the concept of "pre"?

There is no "pre warned".

As for being warned, read the owner's manual. It's there for a reason.

By what you didn't say, it's obvious that you played the silly game of "how long can I go before running out of gas?" It's a stupid game, actually, and one that you never played before, which leads me to ask why you chose to play it now?

What is it about buying a Prius that makes people do stupid things like "let's see how many miles I can get on the trip odometer before it runs out of gas"? Yeah, runs out of gas--on the highway, in traffic, stranding you and endangering everyone else.
OMG!! Why??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts