Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, if you are looking for objective, you're in the wrong place. Why go to a Prius forum and ask for an OBJECTIVE comparison with a Civic? What you'll get will surely be biased toward the Prius, and I assume you'd get exactly the opposite from a Civic forum.

In my experience, Prius is a great car. The new Civic probably is too. Why not research specs of both and make a decision?

------------------------
treichard
'05 Driftwood Pearl Pkg. 6

·
Registered
457 Posts
Prius/Civic

Need help deciding between new Prius and new Civic. OBJECTIVE PLEASE!!
I haven't driven any of the Honda Hybrids but I have owned 4 Hondas Including the original Accord in 76. Honda builds quality stuff and they run forever. But I think Toyota currently holds the edge in Hybrid technology and my 04 Prius is a joy to drive. It does just about everything they say it will do except (for me) those elusive MPG figures.
Bottom Line: Those who belong to this site chose the Prius. Many at highly inflated prices. The first Accords generated the same enthusiasm. It seems the Japanese car makers have had the American driver figured out for a long time. Build quality cars that get good mpg's AND ..put in as many bells and whistles as it will hold.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Everyone here is much smarter than average, and certainly better looking. We all picked Prius. You too could be smart and beautiful. :wink:

·
Registered
420 Posts
For my wife and me the hatchback was essential, so we never considered the Civic. On the non-essential side, I also prefer the Prius' looks, larger size, and more advanced technology. But I don't think you'd be making a mistake with a Civic hybrid - and the waiting list may not be as long.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a 2004 HCH and recently traded it for a 2005 Prius.

I get better mileage with the Prius, more power, bigger car, hatchback, foglamps, some toys like Bluetooth and navigation...

with the Prius, I no longer have to pray that the trucks won't kill me as i struggle up some hills at 40MPH in a 60MPH zone; I can now just cruise at speed with A/C on and not impede traffic

I have foglamps; on the Honda, no matter of money or pleading would get Honda to authorize foglamps on the Hybrid (even though they are available on the non-hybrids.

In my opinion, the Honda handled a bit more adroitly in corners than does the Prius; the Honda being more in the 'sport sedan' mode.

I owned the HCH for 39,000 miles and replaced the factory rotors at 10,000 miles due to warping; I replaced the second set at 26,000 or so and had the rotors turned (only slightly warped). I do not know it this is normal, but I am not hard or abusive to brakes, and the only other car to sustain warped rotors was a 1992 SHO. Ford replaced those under warranty back then, Honda basically told me to f***-off. So much for customer care and relations :wink:

Anyway, drive both and read the Honda forums as well. As noted, most here are pro-Prius. I am also, but if a better vehicle arrives, I'll check it out :lol:

·
Registered
619 Posts
treichard said:
Well, if you are looking for objective, you're in the wrong place. Why go to a Prius forum and ask for an OBJECTIVE comparison with a Civic? What you'll get will surely be biased toward the Prius, and I assume you'd get exactly the opposite from a Civic forum.

In my experience, Prius is a great car. The new Civic probably is too. Why not research specs of both and make a decision?

------------------------
treichard
'05 Driftwood Pearl Pkg. 6
He's doing the right thing... this IS research.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm buying the 2006 HCH...

I myself will be buying the 2006 HCH. The Prius will get the best fuel economy, make no mistake, but I think the 2006 HCH will still get very good FE. People have reported getting 36-38 mpg average with the 2006 gasoline Civic even when driving it fairly hard and going 80mph on the highway, so that's encouraging as I'd expect the hybrid to get around 10mpg better... but we'll see.

Anyway I just disliked the Prius' interior and particularly the dashboard, and I found the Incredible Shrinking Gas Bladder a nuisance. Another big compaint for me was the view out the front of the car -- the corner pillars really got in the way for me. The 2006 Civics have a drastically better view horizontally, though vertically it's about the same as far as I remember.

Of course, the Prius does have a bunch of neat things the HCH does not, such as the smart-key system, glass breakage sensor, the Bluetooth phone thing, alot more cargo room, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
gqscientist said:
New Member.

Need help deciding between new Prius and new Civic. OBJECTIVE PLEASE!!

pros/cons?

jason
Honestly,
You can't go wrong with either. Here are the reasons I'd choose the Prius over the Civic:

1) The civic is a 1st year run of a new body style + hybrid system. The 2004 Prius had (minor) problems that, by the time the 2005 rolled out, were fixed. Expect a .0 release product (IT terminology meaning, lots of new features, but more potential flaws). In comparison the 2006 Prius will be a 3rd generation using the same proven design.

2) The Prius is a concept car that went production. The civic hybrid is a standard car that went hybrid. Priorities in the designs are different... ie, civic looks cooler (to most people), but the prius has more space, etc.

3) The Prius has a stronger electric motor (67HP vs. 15HP) and you get the EV-mode for longer. WIth additional batteries, the prius could function effectively (albeit poorly if heavily loaded) as an electric vehicle.

I could go on, but I think these points are the strongest reasons I would choose the Prius. But either choice, you're driving the future.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I owned the HCH for 39,000 miles and replaced the factory rotors at 10,000 miles due to warping; I replaced the second set at 26,000 or so and had the rotors turned (only slightly warped).
Can we assume that Honda covered the repairs..?

·
Registered
581 Posts
JDavies said:
I owned the HCH for 39,000 miles and replaced the factory rotors at 10,000 miles due to warping; I replaced the second set at 26,000 or so and had the rotors turned (only slightly warped).
Can we assume that Honda covered the repairs..?
No, they (Honda) refused, stating is was 'normal' wear and tear. So, assuming that Honda Dealer and Honda Cars North America are correct, then Honda rotors warp at 10,000 miles or less....

Last Honda car that I will buy with that attitude! Porsche replaced my cooling system even though I autocrossed and Ford replaced warped rotors on a SHO at 7,000 miles, so Honda's attitude is not standard.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Purchasing any car is not a process to be taken lightly. Plenty of folks out there do, and they get burned. Just ask anyone who felt or was pressured into a purchase by a dealer or who purchased a car on a whim. They are usually the ones that feel the worst about their purchase, and many for good reason (lemon vehicles, excessive services, long distances to dealer, vehicle not a good match for users purposes).

Coming here and asking for our experience is a good choice. And if you not already aware, our advice is going to be biased toward the Prius. Some here are egalitarian and experienced enough to be able to give you good advice for the HCH also, but those are in the minority.

I only purchased a Prius after doing a lot of lurking on Prius sites and searching the web for information regarding its power train and development. The selling points for me included:
  • Mid-sized rating and interior size (not a compact)[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Second generation (actually third worldwide) so a proven concept[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Highly advanced power train allowing for electric only mode (with ICE at rest at city street speeds)[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Electrified accessories such as power steering, air conditioning, braking[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Auto climate control[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Digital dash, advanced trip computer (no other cars in this price range have digital dash and a quality trip computer, just a personal preference)[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Redundant remote controls on steering wheel (again, no other car in this price range has this feature, at least that I can think of)[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Hatchback w/ folding seats[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Unique design and appearance[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Large base of supportive users and user experience (Priusonline, Priuschat, Greenhybrid)[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Test drive was spectacular, smooth and spunky.[/*:m:22guru1n]
  • Met real world driving expectations (mountain passes, cold weather, hot weather)[/*:m:22guru1n]
But I seriously suggest that you do your best to understand the mechanical parts of the Prius, such as the power split device and motor/generator setup so that you can differentiate it technically from the Civic. There is a huge difference in hybrid implementation between the two when you get down to how all the pieces get together and how motive force and regeneration are all accomplished. My post would be way too long to try to explain it. Do web searches about the Prius and you will find lots of good relevant stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The HCH is available in manual and CVT.
If you prefer manual, then the HCH is the one to go with.
In terms of mileage, the manual HCH will probably be very, very close to the Prius, under actual use conditions.
Check out Green Hybrid:
http://www.greenhybrid.com/
with the real mileage data base, and the current versions of HCH manual and Prius are almost identical in terms of mileage.

I picked the Prius because I liked the shape and hatchback.
My biggest beef with the Prius are the seats which I find very uncomfortable, and poor high speed stability.
Test drive both cars, ultimately it's your decision!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ditto on the hatchback. I've never owned a hatchback before, now I find it indespensible. As for the new 06 HCH it would be interesting to keep tabs on one which is why I frequent sites with other hybrid users. The best thing about the Prius is it's standard with the touch screen MFD.

The worst thing are the tires, particularly with the OEMs. The Prius' heater is not the best in the winter when it get to -10 F.

I've been driving a truck for the last 12 years so the steering, comfort, and acceleration are great not to mention the turning radius and parking are now a joy. The amount of room, particularly in the back, is also great even better then my Avalon.

·
Registered
466 Posts
MGBGT said:
The HCH is available in manual and CVT.
If you prefer manual, then the HCH is the one to go with.
In terms of mileage, the manual HCH will probably be very, very close to the Prius, under actual use conditions.
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid is available in CVT only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts