Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just tested a 2006 Civic against my 2004 Prius

The Civic pulled away from the Prius under max throttle from a 15mph rolling start despite the fact that there were two people in the Civic. Civic felt slower but was in fact faster on the highway. (Using standard gear setting)

Civic seem quiter, better trim, classier dashboard. I thought better seats.
I have had trouble with my feet that I believe relate to the Prius short seat and lack of support for the thighs on long journeys.

Standard European stereo in Civic is much better than my Prius JBL.
I have a lot of trim rattles on the Prius in cold weather.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We test drove a Civic hybrid and a Prius about a month ago. We found the Civic to have a lot more road noise than the Prius, although the Prius was not as quiet as the Camry Hybrid.
A hybrid Civic can also move from a stop on only electric. When we had our Odyssey in for service, a service technician drove a hybrid Civic away without a sound!
We're still waiting on plug-in capability. Why have an electric vehicle if you can't plug it in?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Per said:
We're still waiting on plug-in capability. Why have an electric vehicle if you can't plug it in?
Because it ISN'T an electric vehicle, its a hybrid. A hybrid is supposed to use the best of both worlds: electric AND internal combustion engine.
Electric provides great torque but mostly it works best at low speeds. It isn't quite as efficient at higher speeds. Besides, energy storage is still a problem compared to liquid fuel, such as gasoline and diesel.
ICE delivers great power, but must be running at specific RPM to achieve best efficiency. It is most inefficient at slow speeds.

Most hybrids are designed to use the battery as a buffer, not as the main power source. This is to supply peak but short power demands. It also allows for recouping kinetic energy during braking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dan,

I know it's a hybrid. Electric motors can work well at high speeds also--just look at the EV-1. The current hybrids are just babysteps compared to what a hybrid has the capability of.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Motors CAN work at high speeds, but are not AS efficient at high speeds. As electric motors gain speed, their efficiency goes down. As an ICE increases speed, its efficiency goes up. Conversely, as ICE speed goes down, so does its efficiency. Conversely, as a motor's speed goes down, its efficiency goes up. See how they can complement each other? That's the entire point to the Hybrid SYNERGY drive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, we ended up buying a 2008 Civic hybrid instead of a Prius. There were just too many things we liked better with the Civic; better ride and handling, better instrument layout, more comfortable seats, telescoping steering wheel. In addition, we ended up paying somewhere around $5,000 less for the Civic compared to a Prius with a nav system. The biggest thing we missed on the Prius was the hatch, but since we have the truck, it was not such a big deal. Mileage difference is minimal between the two cars--our five tanks so far have run from 49 to close to 52 MPG without trying too hard.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts