Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that starting in '06, the leather option on the Prius will be installed in the factory. Is this true?

Also, what is the difference between leather seats and leather trim? Apparently the leather option in '06 is trim?

Lastly, will the leather be a better quality if it is installed in the factory?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ken

·
Registered
586 Posts
kwe said:
It is my understanding that starting in '06, the leather option on the Prius will be installed in the factory. Is this true?

Also, what is the difference between leather seats and leather trim? Apparently the leather option in '06 is trim?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ken
Here the colors and packages for the 2006 Prius:

2006 Prius option codes, package contents and exterior/interior color combinations. Please note that each of the twelve Toyota regions are able to order any or all of the packages. Then there are the port installed options lists that vary by region.

FE- 50 State Emissions, Included w/All Packages

GY #1- Driver and Passenger Side and Curtain Airbags (your basic TRAC car)

HE #2- Rear Camera, AM/FM CD 6 Speakers & MP3, Smart Key System

HF #3- RC, AM/FM etc., SKS, All the airbags

HG #4- Vehicle Stability Control, RC, AM/FM etc., SKS, All the airbags

HI #5- VSC, RC, JBL AM/FM, CD Changer, 9 Speakers, Bluetooth & MP3, SKS, Security Alarm&Homelink, All the airbags

HK #6- VSC, High Intensity Discharge headlamps, RC, JBL etc., SKS, A&H, All the airbags, Front Fog&Driving Lamps

NL #7- VSC, HID's, RC, JBL etc., SKS, A&H, All the airbags, Navigation Display, Fog&Driving Lamps

NW #8- VSC, HID's, RC, JBL etc., Natural Leather Seating Material, SKS, A&H, All the airbags, Navi, Fog&Driving Lamps

Exterior/Interior Colors- Super White (040) G/B, Classic Silver Metallic (1F7) G/G, Magnetic Gray (1G3) available w/04/2006 production G/G, Black (202) G/B, Barcelona Red Metallic (3R3) G/B, Driftwood Pearl (4S2) B/B, Silver Pine Mica (6U0) G/B, Seaside Pearl (8S2) G/B. The G or B indicate the interior colors (Gray or Beige) that will be available for either the cloth or leather. G/B means Gray or Beige is available for both, G/G is Gray only for both, B/B is Beige only for both.

As you can see with the Package #8( which is the current model Package #6 + Leather Seating, Back-up Camera, and MP3 Capability) has Leather Seating..........Leather Trim is the Door Panels, Center Arm Rest, Steering Wheel....ect.....

As far as quality is concerned .........that is up to who ever does your aftermarket Leather now. The Guy we use, uses the exact same leather. He's been doing this for 27 years and you can't tell the difference between his and the Factory installed.

Thanks for the good Question.........

TQ :wink:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Based on those two terms you listed, I can't tell if there's a difference. I mean some might say leather appointed interior, leather-trimmed interior etc etc.

I believe this leather option is perforated and is on "seat surfaces" only. It'll also come with a leather wrapped steering wheel and sythetic leather door trim (as well as centre armrest).

As for aftermarket, depends on who you go to. Some of them can look very very tacky while others look very OEM-ish

·
Registered
56 Posts
kwe said:
what is the difference between leather seats and leather trim? Apparently the leather option in '06 is trim?

I do not like leather because if you are like me driving for 2 or 3 hours non-stop, then your shirt is all wet, the leather make it worse and I prefer non-leather seat.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had my Prius for two years. They could give me the leather for FREE and I'd say NO. I love the OEM material that is in the Prius. Not hot in the summer nor cold in the winter. Leather is SO uninviting. The only thing I like about leather is the nice smell. For that I just buy a closeout at Wilson's House of Leather and dump it in the trunk. Works wonders!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I once read an article on "leather trim", "leather appointed", "leather surface" terms that automakers love to use to confuse customers. The truth, as the article put it, is that not all leather-like materials used in seating, door-trim, etc. are genuine leathers. In most cases, the materials that body touches while seating are genuine leather. Man-made materials are usually used for seatbacks, or places that you don't usually touch, but visible to you. In one extreme case, the Acura MDXs actually use all man-made materials for the 3rd row seat. Most German luxury brands claim to use all-leather (no man-made). However, in my BMW, I did find some leather-like material suspicious... :wink:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
omg, NEVER opt for "leatherette" trim in any of the German automakers. It's essentially vinyl (that's why it's free). Always get their leather option (though pricey, it's worth the upgrade). Leatherette is disguisting.

Classic, depends on the leather you sit in. If it's poor quality leather, yeah it can make you feel crappy on a hot summer day. I recommend perforated leather since the holes help aerate your bottom and back leaving you drier and more comfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had leather installed aftermarket at a shop that does 95% dealer work.

If you didn't know, you would think that it was a factory job. Leather on the seats, console, head rests and arm rests on door--definitely NOT a cheap leather-look job.

They charged $1100 installed and did it in one day. I left it in the morning at it was done about 5 hours later.

Ask your dealer who they recommend to do this work. DO NOT shop by checking in the Yellow Pages for this kind of installation! Ask your dealer!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm interested in installing leather and have a question... What do after market installers do about the side curtain airbags? I sure wouldn't want to mess those up. Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Depends...........

If you have a really good aftermarket guy....No Problem, if you found him in the Yellow Pages...Make sure that the Aftermarket Job is Warrentied for at least 3yr/36000 miles.

Again ask your dealer who they use...........

TQ :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Classic, depends on the leather you sit in.

I have another car, it is Mercedes c280 and it has leather and I hate it since it become hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I love my new Prius seat, feels great.. NO THANK you to Leather for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
janets98 said:
I'm interested in installing leather and have a question... What do after market installers do about the side curtain airbags? I sure wouldn't want to mess those up. Thanks.
The side curtain airbags were left intact. In fact, the new leather seats actually come with a "Side Air Bag" sticker on each side just to let you know they are there!

The key is to find a really good aftermarket installer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
janets98 said:
The side curtain airbags were left intact. In fact, the new leather seats actually come with a "Side Air Bag" sticker on each side just to let you know they are there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
janets98 said:
The side curtain airbags were left intact. In fact, the new leather seats actually come with a "Side Air Bag" tag on each side just to let you know they are there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aftermarket leather installer in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket installer in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I want leather for my '05 Prius. My dealer says he can do it for $1700 and it'll take one week!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dealer had the cloth interior replaced with leather on ours but it isn't as supple and is not perforated as the ones on my Acura MDX. I do like it though as it cleans a lot easier than cloth, especially with children, and gives it a nice luxurious feeling. Too bad it's not heated, like in my MDX. :lol: The side airbag has a tag on the side of the seats.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you can go back (skip the dealer, go to the upholstery shop they use) and add seat heaters for a couple of hundred bucks. Do the back too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
06 has leather, but will it have heated seats?

Most cars when you opt for the leather seating, you also get seat heaters because the leather seating surfaces are colder in the winter than the cloth counterpart. I was wondering if the #8 option will include heated seats.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
So much for the various manufacturers " Leather Seats " They are mostly the " Leather seating surface " only instead of all genuine leather hyde
used ! Now the aftermarket leathers, you can opt for the whole leather surface: the seating area surface, the back of the seats. the side bolsters door arm rests, center console all the areas that is upholstrable in leathers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
So much for the various manufacturers " Leather Seats " They are mostly the " Leather seating surface " only instead of all genuine leather hyde
used ! Now the aftermarket leathers, you can opt for the whole leather surface: the seating area surface, the back of the seats. the side bolsters door arm rests, center console all the areas that is upholstrable in leathers.
On mine, they did a thorough replacement with genuine leather hide--both driver and passenger's seat (whole) as well as rear seat (up to where the carpeting meets the back of the seat); center console; and all four door armrests.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts