Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the last 8 or so times I've started my car, about 5 of them have resulted in a malfunction of the LCD screen. The LCD shows the graphic of the four wheels, and the wheels seem to turn when the car moves, but the battery indicator remains white and no moving arrows come up to show the engine or electric motor are engaging. The car drives fine with no dash warning lights or anything. If I press the consumption button, it does not beep (very odd), but switches to a blank consumption screen with no instantaneous MPG readout or any other info. Pressing climate button does not beep, and says "Check the connection of the air conditioner." with nothing else displayed. Yet I can use steering wheel controls to turn AC auto on (dash light turns on), turn on defrosters, etc. Pressing the audio button says the audio is off, even if I turn on the stereo using its power button.

So far, this only happens when I first turn the car on. It has happened on a cold/damp night (11:30pm) and on a hot dry day (very hot inside the car, in the sun, 5pm). After about 2 to 6 minutes, so far, it has always fixed itself and everything goes back to normal. This fixing itself has happened both when the car is moving, and when I have been staring at it in the parking lot. When it does fix itself, if the stereo or AC were on, they both turn off. Once the LCD starts working, it has not yet stopped working until the car is turned off and on again (including on a couple 2 hour drives). However, once, while I had been driving for 10 mins or so with no LCD problem, the AC and stereo both turned off as if the LCD had done its reset thing, though nothing on the LCD changed that I noticed.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem, so it's probably unique, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen this or has an idea what might cause it. If it's just a loose connector, maybe someone knows which one so I can check it. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to take it to a dealer. The car worked fine for about 8 mos before this started, and I didn't do anything to precipitate it like washing it or going out in the rain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2004 Prius Display Problem

I've had my 2004 Prius for 10 months. Two days ago, the display began to act "funny," freezing and not allowing input, running very slowly, losing contact with the radio, navagation and air conditioner. This occurs around 75% of the time. Sometimes, all seems normal, but when I go to change the radio volume, nothing happens, or the radio "seeks." Sometimes, it says something like: "Check connections - air conditioner." The "Climate" and "Audio" screens can't be accessed.
Of course, I took it to the dealer, and, it operated perfectly! On the way home, it got "addled" again. It acts like it has a computer virus or some interface cable is loose. What do I say to the dealer?
Thanks,
...Harvey

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: 04 Prius LCD screen losing communication with rest of ca

I had the same thing - the dealership ordered an "exchange unit" to replace the MFD and now it's fine. They've seen the same problems in Land Cruisers that use the same screen.

KaniSDragon said:
Out of the last 8 or so times I've started my car, about 5 of them have resulted in a malfunction of the LCD screen. The LCD shows the graphic of the four wheels, and the wheels seem to turn when the car moves, but the battery indicator remains white and no moving arrows come up to show the engine or electric motor are engaging. The car drives fine with no dash warning lights or anything. If I press the consumption button, it does not beep (very odd), but switches to a blank consumption screen with no instantaneous MPG readout or any other info. Pressing climate button does not beep, and says "Check the connection of the air conditioner." with nothing else displayed. Yet I can use steering wheel controls to turn AC auto on (dash light turns on), turn on defrosters, etc. Pressing the audio button says the audio is off, even if I turn on the stereo using its power button.

So far, this only happens when I first turn the car on. It has happened on a cold/damp night (11:30pm) and on a hot dry day (very hot inside the car, in the sun, 5pm). After about 2 to 6 minutes, so far, it has always fixed itself and everything goes back to normal. This fixing itself has happened both when the car is moving, and when I have been staring at it in the parking lot. When it does fix itself, if the stereo or AC were on, they both turn off. Once the LCD starts working, it has not yet stopped working until the car is turned off and on again (including on a couple 2 hour drives). However, once, while I had been driving for 10 mins or so with no LCD problem, the AC and stereo both turned off as if the LCD had done its reset thing, though nothing on the LCD changed that I noticed.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem, so it's probably unique, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen this or has an idea what might cause it. If it's just a loose connector, maybe someone knows which one so I can check it. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to take it to a dealer. The car worked fine for about 8 mos before this started, and I didn't do anything to precipitate it like washing it or going out in the rain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*nods* Well, that's good. I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else talking about the problem... maybe because it shows up differently for everyone. Today it went out while I was driving. Battery indicator stayed blue, but engine/motor arrows stopped showing. I also noticed that pressing the mode button on the steering wheel wouldn't switch stereo inputs, but volume/channel preset buttons continued to work. Such strange behavior...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It took over a week for them to get the new LCD display after they ordered it. Kinda crazy. The repair took all day and they managed to not pop the vent to the right of the stereo back in correctly (the yellow snaps on the bottom were not even in the holes). Pretty annoying they were so careless, but it wasn't too hard for me to align the snaps and pop it in. Other than that, it was free under warranty, and it seems to have fixed the problem, at least for the half day I've had it. So, it's all good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"Multi-Function Display Module"

My display module was replaced yesterday and all is back to normal! It took two visits to convince the dealer that it was faulty. It took a week for them to receive the replacement, and during that time, the display went to about 90% "locked up." The receipt says "internal open circuit."

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: "Multi-Function Display Module"

Harvey Laidman said:
My display module was replaced yesterday and all is back to normal! It took two visits to convince the dealer that it was faulty. It took a week for them to receive the replacement, and during that time, the display went to about 90% "locked up." The receipt says "internal open circuit."
Techglese for "broken wire"

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I wonder if maybe we can ask Toyota to have their dealers keep several of these screens in stock in the parts department?

Bet we'd see a TSB shortly after that request! :shock: :D

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
yeah, there's been quite a few reports over on the yahoo boards about oddities with the display on the 2004 Prius... So far it has been seen on US, Canadian, and Australian Prius. Problems are intermittant in nature.

Some of the reported symptoms include no outside temperature display, no energy flow arrows on the Energy Monitor, the Consumption Screen shows inaccuate MPG or l/km (no bars or full bars on the histogram, even though you know your engine has been running...). These symptoms are very similar to Newarkitis on Classic Prius (different root cause).

Other reports include the radio playing music, even though the radio is off, and other haunting things with the radio...

You get "check system" or "external system not connected" errors when pressing the Climate or a navigation-related button.

Some people also have slow-to-respond touch screen pushes.

some photos:
http://www.trufit.com.au/Prius/ScreenUnitFailure/

The problem lies with the display ECU, which is integrated in with the MFD. The replacement display is a US$3000+ part, covered by your basic warranty.

The car is safe to drive while waiting for the part (usually on backorder these days). Usually the buttons on the steering wheel work best when trying to change things and the display is acting up.

The good thing is that if you have a pre-April 2004 Prius with the navigation system, the new display will change the Info button on the steering wheel to toggle between the Energy Screen and the Consumption Monitor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the connection of the air conditioner

I know this post was last touched in '04.
I have a 04 prius and now my LCD screen does not work! :x

When I press "Climate" button, I get "Check the connection of the air conditioner" message.
When I press "Audo" button, I get Audio OFF message.
and same with other buttons.

When I took the car to the dealer and told him of the problem. The dealer wants $300 just to do the initial diagnosis.
I dont see anybody paid money to get this LCD screen fixed. Was that because it was under warranty?

Being in MI, it is getting painful not be able to get or set every feature of the heat vents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts