Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a waiting list for an '05 Prius, but an '04 became available today. It's a pacakage 9, and a bit more pricy than I was hoping, but I'm still considering picking it up.

Anyway, on to the real question. Has anyone installed an aftermarket CD player on an '04? I was considering picking up an Alpine CD player later in the year, when they offer connections to iPods.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
GPietras said:
I'm on a waiting list for an '05 Prius, but an '04 became available today. It's a pacakage 9, and a bit more pricy than I was hoping, but I'm still considering picking it up.

Anyway, on to the real question. Has anyone installed an aftermarket CD player on an '04? I was considering picking up an Alpine CD player later in the year, when they offer connections to iPods.
Do make sure that you can return the CD player without penalty, should you not be able to use it in your Prius.

If the 2004 is anything like the classic Prius (most likely), there are very few candidates that'll work with the already-existing touch-screen and dash buttons, due to the data bus. If you do not go for the Toyota unit that's known to work (6CD changer, pn 08601-47800 (same as on some 2003 Prius, newer model) PPO P6, with pn 08695-00370 wire harness and pn 08695-47800 setting kit), try to find one that has the control buttons on the unit itself.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think he's wondering about a replacement head unit, not a changer. (Alpine makes head units that have built-in ability to link an iPod, and it will let you use full menu options, as well as displaying all the track information.)

As for that? I doubt it. The only place that is even DIN-sized is the little storage space below the factory radio. I'm assuming that's where the add-on CD changer would go, and it's smaller than a standard DIN.

Just remember that if you put in a new head unit, you will almost guaranteed lose use of the steering wheel controls, and you absolutely guaranteed will lose the touch screen controls. (Only for the radio/CD.)

I'd just use a tape adaptor, and find/make a fancy mount for the iPod. (Or get an iceLink.) Unfortunately, either of those and you won't get full control over the iPod, except on the iPod itself. I hope Costal e-tech makes an iPod controller, but I doubt it, I assume that the Toyota data bus is too proprietary. But it would be cool to have a little on-screen iPod control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As soon as I get mine on a list for a 2005 too:) I'll be loading it up with nav,music keg,sirius and video system for my boy :lol:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
skew said:
As soon as I get mine on a list for a 2005 too:) I'll be loading it up with nav,music keg,sirius and video system for my boy :lol:
Get an iPod and an ICElink, it's cheaper than the ridiculously-priced Music Keg. Plus you can use it when it's not in your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I'm getting good sound quality out of my Sony Cassette adapter, and there's no need to mess with a good thing, especially with the potential for messups mentioned above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GPietras said:

With a package 9, you dont need an aftermarket CD changer since it has a 6 disk changer standard (with bluetooth, with DVD navigation).

·
Registered
3 Posts
ehurtley said:
Just remember that if you put in a new head unit, you will almost guaranteed lose use of the steering wheel controls, and you absolutely guaranteed will lose the touch screen controls. (Only for the radio/CD.)
I'm all excited to get something but now I'm not so sure...I was hoping to get an Alpline head unit with XM... What makes you think that I won't have the use of steering wheel buttons?

Also, if I lose the touchscreen controls, that's not too bad, since my head unit came with a free set, right? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't help myself- just have to state this... there are many quality AFM sources out there for your needs but-- speaking from experience- I would have to say that 90%+ of ALL electrical problems on ALL Toyotas are created by the implimintation of AFTERMARKET electrical components!
Trust me- you don't want someone hacking into your wiring harness and voiding your warranty. If it's not plug-and play then pass!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That why I say if its done right :) Its not a do it yourself job, the 90% electrical problems is because someone didn't have a clue what the were doing. I would also say 90% of the service people don't have a clue they like to point fingers at aftermarket equipment even though it has nothing to do with the problem.(when a tech speaks to you and points at a aftermarket piece and says juice just look the other way and laugh) Steering wheel controls on a aftermarket radio is a very simple proceedure I don't know why everyone always say you'll loose your controls first thing out of their mouth. I still see it everytime in a aztek forum even though everyone has seen all of the mods I have done. My local dealer has never once questioned anything in my Aztek most of the time when I bring it in for a oil change the all huddle around it. I'll find out this week date of delevery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts