Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'02 Prius with 29,000 miles has the 'check engine' and the warning triangle illuminate on the combination meter - The little car with the exclamation point is on on the dispaly. I took the car to the local dealer ( Reliable Toyota, Springfield , MO) and was told the problem was in the wiring harness and not under warranty.
I've bought a code reader and am attempting to fix the problem but no codes are registered. I use the program to turn off the light but it coms back after 10 seconds or so.
The car runs fine and performs beutifully - if anything it gets exceptional milage compared to other Prius'
Any help on this will be appreciated.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prius lights

Thanks for the reply.
I am using a cumputer scan tool and it shows no fault codes but will let me turn the lights off. In about 10 seconds they come back on.

No other symptoms - cruise will not work and the map light will not turn on. Car runs perfect. I will try for another code reading later today.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
582 Posts
'02 warning light

Ron, I would regard "not under warranty" as an unacceptable response. You have 29k miles on a vehicle with a 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Go elsewhere, and if the next Toyota shop does not do better, you must start talking with the Toyota customer assistance phone people.

Since we are talking about possible wiring problems, I would put away that aftermarket code reader for now and not discusss it with the next shop you visit. No reason to open speculation on whether you have caused some damage with it.

Good Luck.

DAS

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The reason your aftermarket scantool may not be registering anything is because it is not an SAE standard code it can report. You have a whole lot more than just an ICE in there.

Cruise probably won't work because you are probably in fail-safe mode. Cruise is disabled in such a mode.

I would agree, take it to another dealer. One thing though, you may be within the 36K range of the bumper-bumper warranty, but may have exceeded the 3 year mark. But Toyota does make exceptions on a case-case basis. Make sure all TSBs and campaigns assigned to this car have been done. One issue was the hybrid battery, and I think the aux battery may have been another.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was able to pull codes off my '02 with my generic scantool but it required a firmware update from the manufacturer. When I had the P3191 appear I was able to clear the codes.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
stevewa said:
I was able to pull codes off my '02 with my generic scantool but it required a firmware update from the manufacturer. When I had the P3191 appear I was able to clear the codes.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 011-03.pdf
US TSB EG011-03.June 12, 2003, Master, Hybrid & M.I.L. "ON" P3190/P3191 & P3101, 2001-2003 Prius. Replaces TSB EG012-02. (Fix: may replace circuit opening relay assembly, ECM (engine control module), and/or fuel tank assembly.)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 050-04.gif
US TSB EG050-04. December 20, 2004. ENGINE OIL SPECIFICATIONS. 2001-2005 Prius. (Incorrect engine oil viscosity or improper fill level may result in a M.I.L. "ON" condition (most common Diagnostic Trouble Code P3191 "Engine does not start"). Use SAE 5W-30 API grade SL "Energy Conserving" oil and use proper fill quantity.)

I'll note that I once had the P3191 code on my 2001 Prius, along with the engine not starting one cold morning (not the coldest I've seen, however). Dealer cleared the code, claimed they ordered me a new 12v battery (!! never got it), and sent me on my way. haven't seen a reoccurance since then, with no fix applied...

·
Registered
236 Posts
ozron said:
'02 Prius with 29,000 miles has the 'check engine' and the warning triangle illuminate on the combination meter - The little car with the exclamation point is on on the dispaly.

This happened to us for the first time on Saturday after returning to the car after an hour trip through a mall. We got in and started it up and the lights started flashing. The "exclamated triangle" "exclamated little car" and "check engine" light was on.

There was no noises and the hybrid system seemed to be turning on and off and operating as usual. I then hopped in and drove over to the nearest Toyota dealer, after about a half-dozen restarts to see if it was just kicking an erroneous code at us. Their service department was closed and nobody was there... We were about an hour from home so we started to head back since our local Toyota dealer's service department would still be open. We made one stop and when we got back into the car and turned it on, the lights were gone. The car still ran fine so I decided to bypass the dealer to come home and try to troubleshoot it myself.

It seems to be ok, but if it happens again I'll get it checked out.

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=2612

In regards to that post, we did already have the hybrid battery recall done and when we originally purchased it (used) we were told all the TSBs were performed, after I asked the salesman to check on it.

Our '01 has 53k mi. on it.

I was surprised to see so many posts about this issue but it helped that there were so many so I have an indication of what is going on.

Once again, this forum has helped us out. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 04 did this today!

:x The ! and "check engine" light came on my 04 today - freaked me out. Everything seems OK but I'll take it in. It happened to my wife a few months ago, along with a stall. Is this a recurring problem? Is it a wiring problem, a computer glitch, or a sign of the apocalpyse?

I was having a great MPG day then this happened!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
apocalypse. It's The Big Recall by The Manufacturer!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well my wife went to start the car yesterday evening and it popped up the nice little exclamated triangle and check engine light and exclamated vehicle on the MFD. I went out this morning and started it and only the check engine line was on, after a couple of restarts.

I decided to just let it sit instead of driving it this time and will be taking it into the local Toyota dealer for diagnostics on Monday... with TSB in hand.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, they ran their $37.95 "diagnostics" and agreed that it was pulling the P3191 code, but they said it is not the same code as in the TSB, which was interesting. They cleared the code and said they could not get it to come back by multiple restarts and letting it idle for 30 minutes. They then told me they didn't see anything wrong... Although I did get the... but if it happens again, bring it back in ASAP in case they missed something.... speal before I left.

Hopefully it doesn't come back, but this is the second time the codes were reset, so I guess it is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well it happened again, and it is going into the dealership for service again on Tuesday of next week. It is starting to get pretty frustrating. This is the third time I've had it looked at for the same problem.

The symptoms I'm having is that the car will start up and after the 2 or 3 seconds after turnover, the ICE kicks on and it stalls out and kicks the warning lights. Strange enough if I turn off the AC and restart the car, it stays running ...BUT... If I leave the AC on and restart the car, it stalls out again. However, the two previous times I had it looked at, the AC didn't affect the stalling on startup. I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence or not.

Either way, $40 more bucks for the diagnostics. I had a disagreement with them last time saying it has cost me $120 for you to tell me you can't figure out what is wrong. They said if I want to have the computer codes pulled so that they can find the problem that I'd have to pay the charge or they couldn't help me.

Man, what a riot these guys got going for them.

....makes me regret taking woodshop instead of autoshop way back in High School. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
hyperion said:
So at 29,000 miles, the problem comes under the warranty "probably" but to find the problem covered by the warranty you have to pay a $40.00 diagnostic fee to find out what the problem is that is probably covered under the warranty!!!!!!?????? (or has the three years gone by?)

Yeah the three years has gone by and we're at 57,000 now. I asked if the problem was covered under the warranty and they said that if they could find the problem that they would find out if it is covered but they can't find the problem.

oye.... *shakes head*

This is getting to be like the 1996 Olds Achieva I had a few years back. At random times and ONLY at highway speeds above 63 it would get an electrical short and all the lights would flicker and the gauges would flutter and it would then stall out and turn the car off, while going above 63 mph. So you can imagine flying down the Interstate and having your car just shut off and if you try to turn the wheel it will lock. If I tried to dump it into Neutral and restart it, it wouldn't restart. Even when I coast to a stop on the side of the road and try to restart it, it wouldn't start until it sat for hours it seemed, even had a mechanic friend with me on one occurrence who checked all the wiring harnessed and relays under the hood after it stalled and while we waited for the tow truck. It was ridiculous. I was very lucky nobody got hurt.

I took it in for the Lemon Law, and it qualified.... but the dealership couldn't replicate the problem. After them having it for about 2 weeks total in about 3 or 4 service stops I told them I didn't want the car back and they were going to give me one-helluva-deal on another car. They agreed, I ended up getting a used '91 Camry (Canary) from their lot and they had to give me cash back after the car was paid off. Somehow I was able to screw them in the end, and to me that was all that mattered. (;

But I elongatedly digress... Hopefully they can figure out what is going on because I don't want to be stranded somewhere in 90+ degree heat and no operational vehicle... and it's slowly becoming more stubborn each time I try to start it with the warning lights all over the place.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well I have an update on my Check Engine light fiasco.

As of yesterday it made it's 4th visit to the Toyota service for the same warning lights.

Apparently this time it pulled a different code:

PO300 - Random Multiple Misfire

There was a TSB for this. They replaced the Inject Insulator, ECM, and all new Fuel Injectors. It was covered on the 100,000 mile warranty and totaled $1,691.28 before labor, which was a little over 4 hours he said.

I don't think I've read this specific code appearing to anyone else on here so I may be unique on this.

Right now I'm sitting at just under 63k miles on my 2001.

Hopefully their fix takes care of the P3191 code it also was pulling before it gave them the PO300.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
What about the 50K mile emissions warrantee? If it is in failsafe mode the emissions have increased. I could see excluding it from warrantee only if there was direct physical damage to wiring. Have them show you what wire, or call their bluff!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: warning light

tochatihu said:
Could you post the number of this TSB, or its entire text? Thanks, Seven7.

DAS
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 006-02.pdf

US TSB EG006-02
Mar. 1, 2002, M.I.L. "ON," Engine Misfire P0300/01/02/03/04, 2001 Prius, replaces TSB EG007-01. (May need valve clearance adjustment, replace fuel injector assembly/spark plugs, and replace Engine ECM)

ECM is covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty which is 96 months/80,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts