Toyota Prius Forum banner

2005 vs 2006 Prius

16K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  JadeTree 
#1 ·
Thank you all for your inputs to this forum - they are extremely helpful. The Prius has quite a following.
I just put down a deposit and added myself to the waiting list - it is 3 months here in Tennessee. I can opt to go early in January and get an '05 or a bit later and get an '06. I think they ship the '06s in mid January.
Are there any advantages of the '06 over the '05?

#3 ·
06 Prius adventage over the 05 ? See "Dealers" section under the
_Author_ C.Rickey Hirose. I have posted some info on the 06 PRIUS
Will keep updating for the forum members and non-members to see.

#4 ·
Difference in 05 and 06

Difference will be limited to the Exterior Mostly............Take alook, New Head and Tail Light.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/?page=%20im ... rius&st=kw

Also the Packages will have a Back-up Camara Added and the Sterio will become MP3 Compatible........

Packages will be basically the same as before up to Package #5.....Package #6 is the same as the '05 version except it removes the Navagation Feature and Keeps the Bluetooth. The 2005 Package #6 is now the 2006 Package #7. Then they add a Package #8 ............which is the 2005 Package #6 ( now the 2006 pack #7) with Factory Leather Added.

The biggest difference is in the Tax Break................. $2,000.00 Taxable Income Deduction Vs. $3,150 Subtraction from Taxes Owed.

More Later..............

Tom Quinn :wink:
Internet Sales

#7 ·
Re: Difference in 05 and 06

TWQ83 said:
Difference will be limited to the Exterior Mostly............Take alook, New Head and Tail Light.

Also the Packages will have a Back-up Camara Added and the Sterio will become MP3 Compatible........

Packages will be basically the same as before up to Package #5.....Package #6 is the same as the '05 version except it removes the Navagation Feature and Keeps the Bluetooth. The 2005 Package #6 is now the 2006 Package #7. Then they add a Package #8 ............which is the 2005 Package #6 ( now the 2006 pack #7) with Factory Leather Added.

The biggest difference is in the Tax Break................. $2,000.00 Taxable Income Deduction Vs. $3,150 Subtraction from Taxes Owed.

More Later..............

Internet Sales

According to Toyota here: http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/20 ... ius_fo.pdf
With the exception of the GY package (#2 from 2004, #1 from 2005, now #1 for 2006), all the option packages have the rear camera and the "audio with MP3 and input jack."

I'd be surprised if there are any new 2005 Prius being sold in calendar year 2006, since the 2006 Prius should start being delivered around Thanksgiving... (I doubt that any 2005s will be held over that long on a dealer lot, and chances are that the tax credit legislation is like all the other hybrid deductions/credits - only good on purchases of new vehicles, not used vehicles, not leases...)

#8 ·
Re: Difference in 05 and 06

mrv said:
TWQ83 said:

More Later..............

Internet Sales

According to Toyota here: http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/20 ... ius_fo.pdf
With the exception of the GY package (#2 from 2004, #1 from 2005, now #1 for 2006), all the option packages have the rear camera and the "audio with MP3 and input jack."

I'd be surprised if there are any new 2005 Prius being sold in calendar year 2006, since the 2006 Prius should start being delivered around Thanksgiving... (I doubt that any 2005s will be held over that long on a dealer lot, and chances are that the tax credit legislation is like all the other hybrid deductions/credits - only good on purchases of new vehicles, not used vehicles, not leases...)
mrv,

98% Correct.............But, the arrival date for the first 2006's have been pushed back to the 3rd of December. I doubt we'll see one before that time.

Thanks for the Im-put.

TQ :wink:

#9 ·
Absolutely................Any Hybrid Vehicle...............I'm amazed that there will be any left after december..........Is the one your looking for a 2005??

I'm open to either a '05 or '06. It sounds like the '06s have some improvements.

#10 ·
TWQ83 wrote: [Absolutely................Any Hybrid Vehicle...............I'm amazed that there will be any left after december..........Is the one your looking for a 2005??]

I'm open to either a '05 or '06. It sounds like the '06s have some improvements.

#11 ·
I have gone to several dealers here in LA, and most of them say that all the 2005 have already been reserved. We have made a deposit for a 2006 Prius.

The only dealers with 2005 cars on the lots are those selling it for over the msrp, several thousand over!

Although we have made a deposit for a Pruis since early November, they say we are down on the waiting list and won't get it until January sometime. This dealer gets about 50-60 Pruises a month (they said).

And although we really need a car soon, and can't wait for this one to finally come, we've decided that it would be better to purchase it anyway in 2006, because of that great TAX CREDIT!

Thanks for telling us that that applies to all hybrids. But isn't the tax credit proportional to the efficiency of the gas used in the hybrid? For instance, wouldn't the tax credit on the Highlander or the Honda Accord be lower?

#12 ·
2005's available.

Jade Tree,

I have the last of my 2005 allocations out now and I have about 14 Package #4's in-bound, 1 Package #6 and 1 Package #2. These are available here on the East Coast. If your willing to fly out and Drive back, we can set one up for a After Thanksgiving Day Delivery.

The Tax break was determined by an Organization called the ACEEE. American Council on an Energy Efficient Environment......I think..........anyway they came up with this impossible Formulia. ANywho they determined the saving for a Prius would be $3,150.00, a Highlander Hybrid 4X4 gets $2,200.00, and a Highlander Hybrid 4X2 gets $2,400.00. This is if the IRS doesn't mess things and agrees with the findings. I hopeing that they will make some kind of ruling by the New Year. The only other thing we can do is wait right now........

Thanks For Following,

Internet Sales

#13 ·
JadeTree said:
But isn't the tax credit proportional to the efficiency of the gas used in the hybrid? For instance, wouldn't the tax credit on the Highlander or the Honda Accord be lower?
The credit is not based on absolute fuel efficiency, but relative efficiency compared to a vehicle of the same weight class for the 2002 year.
So a hylander would be compared with SUVs of similar weight.

#16 ·
Different seat cushion configuration in order to accomodate "taller" drivers
Tire pressure monitor also a good and improved feature, then the MP3 jack and so on. The 06 Prius are definetely a better and improved PRII !

#17 ·
C.Rickey Hirose said:
Different seat cushion configuration in order to accomodate "taller" drivers
Tire pressure monitor also a good and improved feature, then the MP3 jack and so on. The 06 Prius are definetely a better and improved PRII !
Different seat configurations? How is it different? Anyway, that would really be great as there are tall drivers in this family. That also remains to be seen, when we get our Pruis next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.