2002 Prius stalling
My 2002 Prius has had the check engine light with code P0420 ON for the last 3+ years. My dealer advisor had told me that it is not a major issue and the only problem could be that I will fail smog test and smog test was not required for the Prius anyway. I continued to drive and had not no issues. Recently I got my car serviced and a few days later while driving on the freeway the following happened (I live in San Francisco Bar Area .. extreme temperature is not an issue),
- First the master warning sign came On with a beep
- 5 minutes the car seemed to shutdown and started slowing down
- The LCD display went crazy and started flashing
- As I started to navigate my slowing the car to the right lane.. it suddenly sputtered and started again
- I was able to drive off the freeway for another 5 minutes and then it stopped again
For the next half hour I tried to see if I could figure something out.. The master warning light was on, but both the displays were behaving weird and then it started again and I was able to drive back home. The master warning light went off after a day. When I took it to the dealer to check they came back and said that the problem could be due to catalytic converter. I decided I will wait and see. I drove the car for another 1500 miles without the problem and then decided to replace the catalytic converter. The problem reappeared again the same day I had replaced the catalytic converter in the exact same manner as before. The car is back at the dealer. Waiting for them to come back. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? The car has 237K miles on it.