Toyota Prius Forum banner

Prius warning from the car wash?

20K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Radar/Babz 
#1 ·
I took my Prius to the car wash for the first time today, and was handed a photocopy of an article warning against running the 2004 Prius through an automatic car wash, lest its computer shift to 'park' and damage the car. It was the carwash's policy to show this to all 2004 Prius drivers and suggest that they take the car instead to a hand wash place.

I figured if this was true it would be all over the web, but a quick search turned up nothing except some people worried about their radio antennae. So what's the deal with this?

Oh, and hello.

#2 ·
My belief, based on other threads, is this concern has arrisen simply because many do not understand how to get the Prius in neutral. This appears to be a larger issue with the car washes that drive the car through for you, resulting in someone who has little or no experience with a Prius trying to figure out what to do in the middle of the car wash. This issue appears similar to the valet situation. Some have simply suggested driving the car through yourself. I am not aware of any situations that result in the Prius all of a sudden going from neutral to park, unless someone is pushing buttons.

#3 ·
Okay, help me out here. I tried to take mine through, and I've read several posts, but they refused to let mine into the Octopus car wash, even with me in it, because the car won't go into neutral and shut off. I still haven't been able to figure that one out, so does anyone know how to keep the car in neutral while powered off?

#4 ·
hedwigtheprius said:
. . . they refused to let mine into the Octopus car wash, even with me in it, because the car won't go into neutral and shut off. I still haven't been able to figure that one out, so does anyone know how to keep the car in neutral while powered off?
Did they give any reason why it has to be powered off or are they just being mean? Pikachu (a 2001 Prius) has been through the local automatic car wash many times in N. The engine tends to stay in whatever state (on/off) it's in when I switch to N. They haven't given me any grief either way.

#5 ·
hedwigtheprius said:
Okay, help me out here. I tried to take mine through, and I've read several posts, but they refused to let mine into the Octopus car wash, even with me in it, because the car won't go into neutral and shut off. I still haven't been able to figure that one out, so does anyone know how to keep the car in neutral while powered off?
Power the car down, then, without pressing the brake pedal, press the power button twice. You will see all the usual dashboard indicators and be able to work the various acessories. Now, depress the brake pedal and shift into "N." The vehicle will now be in neutral, but will not be in the "Ready" state, so it can't magically shift itself into gear and tear off on a wicked spree of maniacal car wash mayhem.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

#6 ·
moocatdog said:
hedwigtheprius said:
Power the car down, then, without pressing the brake pedal, press the power button twice. You will see all the usual dashboard indicators and be able to work the various acessories. Now, depress the brake pedal and shift into "N." The vehicle will now be in neutral, but will not be in the "Ready" state, so it can't magically shift itself into gear and tear off on a wicked spree of maniacal car wash mayhem.
Drive happy,
Moo :)
Thank you so much! And so then when the guy with the towel has to drive it off the conveyor, all he has to do is push the Power button once while pressing the brake and shift into drive? (I say that like it's going to be easy...)

I'm hoping they'll just let me go through with it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.