Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:::: strong worrying noises:::::
OK, I'm befuddled and worried about my little spaceship. This morning she was fine. This afternoon, I went to get some groceries, and noticed that as my husband approached, the yellow key light came on, as though there were no key present. At the same time, I noticed that the info screen with the mileage info, etc., was BLANK. No temp showing, no mileage showing, no anything but the blank template for that screen. I pointed this out to DH, who started pressing buttons on the MFD. At that point, the display went dark. Uh, oh.... (Keep in mind that we have just begun reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and just read about the ship's computer being stuck while trying to figure out how to make tea. It seems that my Prius is doing the same.)
We proceeded to the grocery, about 12 miles away, and tried all manner of button pressing, cajoling, swearing, etc., to get the screen back on. We did find:
1) the stereo system still works, just nothing showing on the MFD
2) the nav system reports that the "external device not activated", just as my older classic prius did that had no nav system
3) the message "air conditioner error - please check air conditioner connection" came up
4) sometimes the screen will come on to show parts of the "info" menu
5) "Bluetooth connection successful" comes up, but the phone will not connect through the speaker system
6) at one point, the bootup "Hybrid Synergy drive" screen came up and froze for several minutes, after which the screen went dark again.
We tried rebooting the car several times, no go.
On the way home, same thing, until I pressed the voice command button the steering wheel. At that point, the little icon for the mic came up, and the voice announced that it was only available in map mode. So, I pressed the map key on the steering wheel, and the map screen came on. The info key then showed the correct screen, too, with current mileage, etc. However, we noticed that the usual annoying "beep" that indicates screen changes was missing.
I got home and pressed my luck too far. I rebooted. Or tried to. It did not recognize that I had a key. It took several tries to get it to start, and then it went back to a blank display and went dark again....
My DH is a computer tech, and he seems to think the computer is in need of a total wipe and reinstall... (uh, oh)...
Anyone else have similar experience? What was the outcome?? Do I need to call a priest to deliver last rites, or just wait until the computer realizes it can't make tea???
Worried in Richmond,