Toyota Prius Forum banner

Automatic Headlight Leveling System Warning

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ct. Ken V 
#1 ·
Hi There--

My 2004 (181K miles) prius keeps popping up the warning indicator for 'Automatic Headlight Leveling System'. It has been happeing occasionally since December,but more lately. It seems to only do it when it is wet outside. I have an appointment tomorrow with my dealer to have them look at it.

Has anyone else had this warning light pop up?
What are some questions I should be asking the dealer to make sure they are giveing me the straight scoop?
For repairs, what kind of price range have people seen?

Thanks for the help

KV

#2 ·
Hi, Karen,

It's been a long time since we've heard from you. I had my leveler fail (with no warning lights on the dash/screen---just headlights aimed so low I couldn't see more than 20 feet ahead) at only 13 months of ownwership & 21,000 miles on the clock. Naturally it was fixed under warranty, so I didn't know how much the repair would normally cost, but others looked up the part number & it varied from $249 to $311 & then there is the labor to install the part & re-calibrate the headlight aim afterwards (if necessary). I have a link to that 3-pg thread :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10081&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

At the start of that thread posters were saying they were quoted $500 for the complete job. Before they start you need to ask to see the packaging for the new part to make sure it has the "G" suffix after the part number (which is in one of the last posts on pg 3) because that "G" part is the new & improved one. Some have taken the old part out themselves & repaired it (I don't know if the pictures were posted on this site or over on PriusChat) & everything worked fine afterwards. I don't expect you to crawl under your car to do it yourself, but that would save you $500 if successful. Here's the link to the do-it-yourself repair with pictures (the pix enlarge for more detail) & somebody else DID use ball point pen springs with great success. http://www.sector13.org/jason/prius/hea ... ensor.html

Go to this link for the TSB. It's an attachment in firepa63's Jan 11, 2007 post on page one.
viewtopic.php?start=0&t=10081
(Just noticed that this is the same thread as I linked you to in 2 paragraphs above, sorry).

#3 ·
Thanks! I appreciate the commentary...and the welcome back. I've been a bit...overwhelmed...and refocused since Feb 21-- I now have an infant car seat in the back seat of the prius... :D Traveling sales girl is more office and home based these days...

A philosophical question on child rearing with a Prius: What kind of car noises do you teach the child? Vrroom Vroom doesn't really seem to be the best option...

KV

#5 ·
Hi, Karen,

Aaawww, what an adorable little cutie. Congratulations, mom!! Also the bright colors of the quilt & blanket make that picture a real eye catcher, but can't say enough about the little one though. I hope the links I gave you ere helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.