Toyota Prius Forum banner

Main Battery Dead on my 2001 Prius- Fix or Scrap?

14K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Ct. Ken V 
#1 ·
The main battery is apparently dead on my 2001 prius. Replacement costs for the part alone are $3000. The battery is no longer under warranty (124,000 mi). I'm not sure what to do. Any chance it's not really dead and this is all a bad dream? The mechanic did the diagnostics and the "computer message" points to the main battery. Any ideas?

#2 ·
What would you do if it was an ordinary car and needed a new transmission at that mileage? It seems like a similar choice. If the car is in otherwise good shape, you could either pay for the repair with a new battery or try to get one from salvage for less money. If you don't want to put the money into it, you would obviously have to buy another car.

#3 ·
Hi, zeesprius,

Are you sure you're out of warranty for the battery? What state are you in? For an '05-'07, if you're in Calif or a "Calif Emisssions" state [which I believe includes eight other states (all 6 New England states & NY & NJ?)], the highbrid component warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles instead of the standard highbrid component warranty of eight years/ 100,000 miles.

I didn't include the '04 model year in the above list because there were fewer "Calif Emissions" states in that year [I don't know for sure, but I think only Calif & Mass (anybody else out there know which ones for sure?)}. I don't know if the extra years & miles applied to the '01-'03 "classic" (your car) though (anybody else know this answer for sure?). Good luck!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

#4 ·
There are some possibilities to explore.
1) There have been good HV batteries that have had some corrosion between the terminal connections. These could be cleaned and the battery returned to service. There are a threads and pictures of this condition for the older Prius model somewhere in Prius Cyberspace. Keep asking and someone will jump in. I would help more but too little time today. Some dealers are very inexperienced in this area since it is rare.

2) If at all possible, find out the diagnostic codes (DTCs). I had my 2001 Prius HV battery replaced (under warranty) with diagnostic codes P3000, P3006. I never had a chance to see if it was a terminal corrosion problem or not. The dealer just did it since Toyota was footing the bill, not me. Once you get those codes, more help can be forthcoming if you tell us here what they are.

3) Expand you net. PruisChat sometimes has knowledgable sources. Typing is free. Search the forums hard, there is a lot of info about your problem out there. Please let everyone know how it turns out.

#5 ·
You have to take into consideration the over all condition of the car. Also resale value. It would not be wise to sink over $3000 dollars into vehicle if the resale value is less. Trade in value would be about $6000-7000. If the car is solid, and their are no other problems. It would seem to be worth it. The other option is to trade in the car for new Prius. Check to see what the dealership would give you for a trade in.

#6 ·
Check around for salvage batteries. These can often be had for a bargain at around $500, perhaps less if you're lucky, more if it's in better shape. Install isn't a big deal, but it's probably best to let the dealer do it due to the voltages, need to do diagnostics, etc.

For $1000 it would be tough to make an arguement to scrap an otherwise good vehicle IMO. I spent $3000 on the tranny for my wife's minivan just before trading it in for a HiHy. This is part of the cost of ownership.

That said, you do need to make sure that the battery failure isn't due to something like corrosion...this is something that was a warranty issue and would be worth pursuing with Toyota to see if they'll give you a break on the cost of a new battery.

#7 ·
Ct. Ken V said:
Hi, zeesprius,

Are you sure you're out of warranty for the battery? What state are you in? For an '05-'07, if you're in Calif or a "Calif Emisssions" state [which I believe includes eight other states (all 6 New England states & NY & NJ?)], the highbrid component warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles instead of the standard highbrid component warranty of eight years/ 100,000 miles.

I didn't include the '04 model year in the above list because there were fewer "Calif Emissions" states in that year [I don't know for sure, but I think only Calif & Mass (anybody else out there know which ones for sure?)}. I don't know if the extra years & miles applied to the '01-'03 "classic" (your car) though (anybody else know this answer for sure?). Good luck!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)
Ken (in Bolton,Ct),

He did post 2001 Prius. 01~03 was covered under 10/100k warranty if his car belongs to those mandated "Cal Emission" states. No extension of its original warranty. So he is _out of warranty_ best step for him will be to find a salvaged Prius battery. I have heard from people getting it for $500~$1000.

#8 ·
Jeffand said:
You have to take into consideration the over all condition of the car. Also resale value. It would not be wise to sink over $3000 dollars into vehicle if the resale value is less. Trade in value would be about $6000-7000. If the car is solid, and their are no other problems. It would seem to be worth it. The other option is to trade in the car for new Prius. Check to see what the dealership would give you for a trade in.
I have taken the 01's with 168.000 miles on it for $7500 as trade-in for a new Prius purchase. However, the traded in vehicle had the Leather and Sunroof and was super clean. Therefore his car still has a good value if in real nice condition.

#10 ·
I scrapped it!

I needed an ASAP solution (to get to work) and neither the dealer nor my own mechanic had any enthusiasm for installing salvaged parts or investigating the "corrosion" possibility. I don't think mechanics are too familiar with the hybirds in this part of the country (;-().

Anyway my vehicle was cloth interior basic model and (with three kids) not in mint condition. It neede some work on the ?bearings and breaks as well. The Toyota dealership offered me $2500 and wouldn't budge on that (ridiculous). I ended up trading it in for about $3300 on a used 2003 matrix/vibe with low miles at another dealership.

I'll be saving my pennies for an '08 prius. Or '09 depending on how the pennies thing goes.

#12 ·
Ct. Ken V said:

The hybrid battery is covered in the US federally under the Hybrid Vehicle System warrany for 8 years/100,000 miles.

(I think some very early 2001 deliveries had 10 years/100,000 miles in their owner's manuals/warranty booklets, though. My Feb. 2001 delivered 2001 does not have this note.)

Only the AT-PZEV rated Prius in CA emission states have the hybrid battery alone covered longer under the CA emissions component warranty for 10 years/150,000 miles. The Classic Prius was "only" SULEV, but the NHW20 2004-current Prius is AT-PZEV.

#13 ·
Hi, Michelle,

Great to see you check'g back in here!! We've missed you, REALLY. Thanks for clarify'g & expand'g on my answer to zeesprius.

By the way, I don't suppose you've heard anything about a Prius get-together up here in the northeast from your friend who you used to help put them on up here. I can't remember who you said that was or where to check for one (a northeast get-together). I've seen them for Chicago, Wisconsin, & Florida, but not for New England. Pity!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.